Jets are F-17 Stealths in SC!

Liam

Edwin P

As for the production costs, I was just wondering whether the game accurately portrayed the relative costs of fielding an air fleet vs fielding an Armored Division (?) plus supporting troops

That statement is something people have been trying to answer in real life for the last fifty (50) plus years. And that is just within the US military! It's almost impossible to answer when you start comparing other people's military. There have been books written about this. So how can you expect a wargame to answer it? What usually happens, is that the wargame designer puts costs out there, playtests it (with or without beta testers) and keeps fiddling with it until it "feels" right. Just like they do with the combat power of the various units.

But if you are interested, start a new topic... this is the kind of stuff I get perverse pleasure from. If you want to try a "quick" comparison method, look at games on a simliar scale to SC, then compare the relative costs against each other. Again, I would help, since I eat/breate this kind of stuff.

Everyone

It has been said before, but bears repeating. If Mr H produced an Editor for SC, that allowed us to modify the unit factors as well as possibly create new units, I would buy it.

Hubert Carter

Give some thought to "outsourcing" the work (for a Editor, see above) to someone here who would do it for peanuts... or even free.

An editor may just do the trick, and I for one believe that to stay true to history that we lower the ability of all air to destroy land units.

Rather if you wish, increase the effectiveness of Air in other jobs as it was becoming very useful for in WW2 and on. Recon/anti-shipping/anti-sub/strategic bombing/air superiority<perhaps bonuses for having it and not having it> Intelligence on the Battlefield is an important factor...

Also it's hard to believe that I blitz through one hex and can move an airfleet there the same turn! That shouldn't be possible regardless of operating costs...

Solution in SC2 should be simple:

Implement the AA factor for all units and also inplement stacking. Stacking should be restrained to say 3-4 units max including airunits.

This makes you able to defend your valuables with a number of high AA units stacked on the same hex.

Also drop the idea of automatic air intervention to prevent the enemy from crumbling your airfleets without you having any control about it. This will make airfleets a little less attractive as they cannot have the double hit factor any longer (both hit the unit its attacking and any defending airunit. This will lower the advantage of the one with the most airfleets indeed.)

I was posting elsewhere, and thought of this solution for air.

Maybe instead of slightly nerfing jets, we just increase the AD of all units by one. Thus HQ's have a 1, Corps have a 2, etc. This still allows jets to attack and help eliminate units, but they will take back some additional damage(about .6 per attack - Thus 5 planes attacking incur 3 points additional loss = 60 MPP loss).

This will reduce their experience gain. It will also be costlier to maintain an airforce as you will have to reinforce more often.

This should lead to less air on the map, at a slightly lower experience. Everyones happy.

If we don't want to modify air, we could increase the advantage for planes in intervention. I would think just increasing the attack, defend, or initiative values for the intervening jets would help.

It's easy. Bann the jets :D

No, seriously. Jets were hardly used in WW2 and then also just in the end-game. Where lonesome Me262 raged havok on the swarms of allied fighters/bombers :cool:

Jets did have a ZERO effect on the outcome of the war. Anyone can agree on this, right?

So just cut the jet-tech out or make it a rule of engagement. That will do ;)

Afterall, i hear alot about making the game more "historicle". So why not start here and now.