The next CM scenario site???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Philippe:

Testing a scenario is a TPG issue. I'm not really talking about what goes on at TPG, my only concern is with TSD II, which has a whole different gestalt.

Ah, then I just missed what you were answering to. Well, I'm still not sure what it was about, but that doesn't matter. smile.gif

Having blown the dust off of CMBB recently, I decided to take a look at the forums and TPG. Just to get caught up.

{{ jumping in with both...}}

I think it is awfully generous that some folk(s) are willing to donate their time, money and energy to making a place for expanding the base of this series of games; and happens to use a common form of authentication in the process. Yes, yes he could have gone completely with some form of sessions and lost some of the obvious benefits, but he could also force us all to rush out and buy RSA fobs is some paranoid effort to factor up the protection for my newest CMBB creation.

Philippe's concept seems valid, but not when logically applied to TPG or similar soon-to-be sites.

A review of existing U.S. Federal laws and the type of business that is currently being conducted by doubleclick and others would seem to support this conclusion: GLB, HIPAA, Fair Credit Reporting Act, COPPA do not apply (most TPG folks are probably over 13, and the data collected seems far from the definition of what ‘personal’ is). If your from the US, of course your State could have it’s own take on the issue.

Review the code, there doesn’t appear to be any evidence of third parties supplying the dreaded “loaded” image file (except that funky sucker fish…lol). If those bastards that run the site sell my sad record of downloads in an effort to shame me at TPG combined with some slick ad scheme to entice me to buy T-72, oh well….

The harsh words used seemed out-of-place for a fan’s web site authentication scheme. They seem better suited for those responsible for the erosion of those rights, in important matters. The list is too long to site, but visiting the ACLU, EFF, EPIC or CDT web sites should give you plenty of information from those who consider the 4th Amendment dear.

If he starts asking for a SSN I’ll take it all back….

• 3 weeks later...