Carrier strength increaese through jet research

grifter151

they should be , however i think that aircraftcarriers and the air units that are on them should be two diff units , i dont see how when iam attacking at the range of a airfleet, i can get my carrier sunk it just not right. you should be able to remove the air fleet from the carrier and use it as land based if you needed to. just a thought

Originally posted by grifter151:

Will carrier strength increase as jet aircraft research is successfull? I would imagine it would, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

G151,

Yes, that's the it works. Those carriers are nasty with jets. :eek:

Moosh,

Originally posted by moosh:

they should be , however i think that aircraftcarriers and the air units that are on them should be two diff units...

There's no stacking, so this will not work.

...i dont see how when iam attacking at the range of a airfleet, i can get my carrier sunk it just not right...
Hubert fixed this for the gold demo.

...you should be able to remove the air fleet from the carrier and use it as land based if you needed to. just a thought
That's not a bad thought, but the game engine is not designed to allow this feature.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...i dont see how when iam attacking at the range of a airfleet, i can get my carrier sunk it just not right...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hubert fixed this for the gold demo.

ST, can you elaborate on this fix?

Long ago, in another thread, someone brought up the point that a Carrier's air-strike ability should be less than a regular Air Fleet, due to far fewer planes.

If the Carrier is considered -- part naval vessel, and part aircraft, then what part of the unit is being destroyed in a particular attack?

If the Carrier is attacked by other planes, then presumably there would be CAP (... although, as at Midway, there might be "surprise," where the planes are caught below-decks in the hangar or, actually on deck, but not yet launched... this would be vitally important in Carrier battles for a potential SC-Pacific version).

If the Carrier is attacked by a surface ship, then the planes would not be attacked, but the hull and superstructure would. Though, I realize that the ability of the planes to even fly is partly determined by how much damage the deck and hangars take.

I guess I am asking -- how to determine what part of the Carrier suffers damage, and how is the potential Air-strike affected?

At some point, the Carrier itself must be rendered inoperative, though I agree with those who say it shouldn't be "sunk" merely because some of its planes are destroyed while they are conducting an air-strike.

We can abstract this to a degree, but the issue remains -- how to separate the naval vessel from the planes it is carrying? :confused:

I hate having too many rules that are specific to a particular situation or unit. As I'm sure Hubert does.

But if I were going to implement a special carrier rule then to keep it as simple as possible it might go something like this:

The attack strength of the carrier aircraft is equal to the carrier strength minus 5. The damage inflicted during an air attack by the carrier cannot take the strength of the carrier below 5. Attacks on the carrier are as the same as they are now.

ie to sink the carrier you have to attack it but you can render it ineffective without actually attacking it by reducing its strength to 5. Obviously a carrier with strength below 5 could not attack.

However I am happy just to have the slight tweak Hubert mentioned.

As originally posted by Bruce70:

The attack strength of the carrier aircraft is equal to the carrier strength minus 5. The damage inflicted during an air attack by the carrier cannot take the strength of the carrier below 5. Attacks on the carrier are as the same as they are now.

I had been thinking along the same lines, only I figured a base strength of 3. That way you would have a maximum air-strike of 7. This would also partly solve the problem of too much Carrier air strength as compared to land-based Air Fleets.

Since I greatly favor the naval game in general, perhaps I am looking for more detail on this issue than is warranted at this scale. :cool:

But the Carrier is the only unit that has two distinct components to it. And this would be more critical if there is to be a SC-Pacific version, since the most decisive battles were fought at Sea, and not on land.

It is not a major problem in the ETO -- perhaps some compromise adjustment can eventually be made?