Just started wargaming...

Knavery

Hi everyone. I used to play the Combat Mission games here and there, but I wanted to get into hex-based wargaming a little bit. I bought this game about a year ago and just loaded it up. It's been referred to as a beer and pretzels game. This is NOT a beer and pretzels game. Unreal Tournament is a beer and pretzels game. This seems like a pretty decent game to start my wargaming experiences. I have also recently purchased Korsun Pocket and Highway to the Reich.

Do any of you play the other two and would you strongly suggest learning Strategic Command first before hopping into some of these other titles?

SC is for whatever we like to call it like chess.

You can learn the "how" to play it in minutes, but forget beating some of our better players without doing your homework hehe.

Korsun and HTTR were also good choices from a hex using turn loving (or at least realitic simulation perspective real time set up) wargamers point of view.

Keep your eye on World at War being made by Gary over at Matrix Games. It promises to be a great companion to SC.

If you ain't tried one of the Mega Campaigns for Steel Panthers, then you ain't done buying yet smile.gif I suggest the Watchtower MC if you want a fresh theatre (because Europe is soooooo done to death in some many genres).

If you like Modern, give a look into SP Cammo's game SPMBT, one of the better modern tactical choices out there.

I also think TacOps 4 has something to say for it. But the graphics might come off a bit bland.

No serious collection is complete if you don't have some of the Operational Art of War series in your collection.

There is a demo out for it, but it's seriously dated.

What you will want is the release called Century of Warfare (as the older ones might give you OS trouble). It is the whole schlameal in one cd of all that has ever been made for the series.

It's a Talonsoft title though, so supplies my be a nuisance.

HPS has several titles by John Tiller that are about the same grade of experience. I also recommend them.

Oh I have Century of Warfare. Sarge, you're getting a little ahead of the gun here. You're rattling all of these titles out and I don't even know how to wargame yet. LOLOL. I've seen you around on Matrix and I know you're quite the wargamer. I think I will learn SC to begin with while dabbling with KP and HTTR.

Good decision Knavery. I've got alot of the games Les mentioned. The only two currently on my HD is HttR and SC. HttR takes most of my game time and has an excellent AI, the only problem is it has no PBEM feature. SC is the greatest for H to H competition especially PBEM which fits my lifestyle (laid back, take your time, contemplate your move). I'm told both are great for wham! Bam! thank you Mam!, TCIP right now games.

Yes, Kuni is right. There's something addictive about this simple game. I've tried quiting, but the most I've lasted is a month before I starting Jonesing. There's something about a nice tech research out of the norm to spring on an opponent. The "Shock & Awe" Barbarossa can be fun.

"Get in the game" --- the old bag woman in the movie Malice.

are you refering to the board games HttR & KP? i didn't kmow there were cd games by those titles. if they are the paper games, i would have some comments to make as i have been playing board wargames many years.