I'm trapped in Ireland

Cane Toad

If your going for Ireland, just use air power and a couple battleships. Land a single corps and when dublin is clear, just move that solitary corp in. Very little forces wasted. Although the first time I invaded, I left Monty and 4 armies stranded there...

Hubert removed the port he had there while the game was in development on purpose to stop the Allied player from attacking Ireland just to get points as he felt that was the more unrealistic option. DO a search (or just scroll back to the begining of the forum) for more info.

Originally posted by Brian Rock:

Perhaps a better solution would be for it to hit the Allies hard politically, pushing non-aligned nations into the Nazi camp.

I think this is a very nice idea. Declaring war on Ireland as the Allies should have disastrous political effects, undermining Allied credibility to fight for freedom and democracy.

Having units stuck OTOH is not a good trade off with respect to getting rid of the problem Compassion reminded us of. It's somehow too much bug-like.

Straha

[ August 15, 2002, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

I hear the castles are nice this time of year... ;)

If Hubert adds political ramifications (eeew big word), then perhaps we'll get to see Irish partisans as well!

Aloid

[ August 15, 2002, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Aloid ]

Political ramifications would be a non-issue, the Allies just wait until the USA and USSR are in the war and that little probelm goes away. But 1942 it's a pefect time - the allied fleets have very little to do anyway and America needs the MPPs . . .

Actually there is another such trap: in the 1941

scenario, the Germans don't own Tobruk (Tripoli

isn't a port for some reason even though it was

used much more than Tobruk was) and as such you

can't ship Rommel & Co. to the mainland (which

would be a good idea due to the inevitable

North African stalemate). Your best bet then is

to shift his forces to attack Vichy, which is

his only hope of seeing Europe again! tongue.gif

John DiFool

As originally posted by blackbellamy:

the problem with adding more ports is that a port is useless unless it's at 5, so if you add new ports then you're giving people extra MPP's

Alright, so make Tripoli a port (... I agree that it was more critical to Italy than Tobruk) and give Britain -- Suez City -- with or without the around-the-horn movement allowance (for now).

Equal trade, yes? And this would provide more rationale for bolstering forces in North Afrika. ;)

As for Ireland, it would be a highly suspect to add a port, since they played very little active role in the war.

But, "what-if" strategies should allow USA or Britain to conquer if they choose to do so -- perhaps it has some negative influence on the remaining neutrals, such as Spain or Vichy?

I don't know, and this is where some sort of a scorecard of all possible political influence would come in handy. ;)