Sub Math & Tactics?

Old&Slow

Been playing non-stop and can`t wait for the full version however I wonder about the U Boats usefulness ?

Here`s my math: I use the italian sub to hinder the Brits Med supplies. They bomb it from Malta.

They lose on average of 4 MPP`s per turn. Their air unit loses nothing while attacking. The cost of repairing the Sub ends up far exceeding the damage it causes.

U-34 & U-25 which are in place at startup usually get sunk at once if you try to use then in any usefull manner.

If I build a Sub at Brest after France falls, cost 358 MPPS, it lasts at the most 2 turns in the supply routes before their surface ships sink it at no cost. They lose 10 MPPS in those 2 turns. I spend 358 MPP`s to cost them 10...hmmm not a great trade off IMO.

So either my tactics are poor or Subs are a bad MPP investment..Thoughts please ?

If you use your N Atlantic sub early, it will be hunted down and killed. I prefer to save it until France falls and I can send another sub out for mutual support. Send two or more additional subs out and you can start something with the British fleets.

The N Sea sub generally cannot make it out to the Atlantic, so either save it to support Sealion or Barbarossa.

The Italian sub can cause convoy damage in the East Med also, away from Malta. Need to decide to support it with fleets if you want to pick a fight with the Brits, or be prepared to lose it. The sub can also use surprise to cover fleet ops against Greece, since the Brits usually come to intervene.

These are just some ideas based on the beta demo. Depending on what has been revised for the SC release, use of subs will probably change some.

Originally posted by Old&Slow:

Here`s my math: I use the italian sub to hinder the Brits Med supplies. They bomb it from Malta.

They lose on average of 4 MPP`s per turn. Their air unit loses nothing while attacking. The cost of repairing the Sub ends up far exceeding the damage it causes.

Keep the Italian sub at least 5 hexes from Malta.

O&S,

There is a simple strategy that is worth trying. Keep your subs moving into and out of the convoy lanes. When they are in there, the Allies will know it and come looking. When they are not in there, the Allies will have no idea where you are.

Keep them guessing and you'll be fine.

Originally posted by SuperTed:

O&S,

There is a simple strategy that is worth trying. Keep your subs moving into and out of the convoy lanes. When they are in there, the Allies will know it and come looking. When they are not in there, the Allies will have no idea where you are.

Keep them guessing and you'll be fine.

AI might be fooled with that trick but no sensible human player. The subs in this game are dog food.

I still havent seen single tactics which will keep German subs alive longer than couple of tunrs out in the Atlantic. That is if they ever get there. Big IF.

The german subs are good as bait.

If you invade britain or any other sea movemnt. you move sub to upset sea zone and watch the allies move at least three of there fleets in to attack.

then you might stand a chance picking them off.

on the other front.

It seems that first strike is the winner of the sea battles.

If you knock any fleet lower than 7 is good,

AI usually retreats.

Put a battleship in holland prt and watch allies go for it!

Once thay are there take them out!

send subs out in the front of fleet battles.

hope that It will at least take three enmy fleets to take out.

then move in.

I even like sending in transports to bait the enemy ships range then strike.

Thay are cheaper.