Jump to content

Strategic Command in Canada


Recommended Posts

Hi folks.

First time poster; long time wargamer smile.gif

I do have a question to ask:

Why is Strategic Command NOT available through game distributors in Canada?

I see that Combat Mission is available in Canada, but not SC.

I also note that SC is available through distributors in Europe and Australia but not Canada.

Considering that Canada is one of the biggest markets for wargames, and that many Canadians (myself included) frequent many of the wargame forums on the internet, I find it odd to see this situation.

If Strategic Command was available in Canada through a distributor I would buy it in a heart beat, and so would many other Canadians.

Making it available to Canadians only through this website means many of us will not buy it because of the extra duty we must pay for it. So obviously this means a huge loss in additional sales revenue for Battlefront.

Will this situation be corrected soon?

[ March 02, 2004, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Kelly's Heroes ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard KH

According to the SC map, the United States and Canada are separated by the Atlantic -- I wonder if that's the reason?

No idea, except that it available through anything but the mail till fairly recently, maybe that area just hasn't opened up yet.

Interested in the answer myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome.

Its because you are selling our high cost prescriptions drugs at such a more honest price. No really, dont know but hopfully Moon, the Magi and one who knows all of hidden secrets of SC will be able to tell us. Moon????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was not easy for Matrix Games to get put on the shelf, and I suppose it won't be easy for Battlefront.

I personally would like to see Battlefront gain more shelf savvy. But I am as yet uncertain shelf presence has done much for Matrix Games in the long run.

That said, the only way to go might be online, regardless of the bitterness of the process.

While it is not well known here, it is a common comment I have made on Matrix Games though. Want a US originating game, and want it to get to you cheaply, have a US resident buy it and then remail it to ya.

I have not yet bought anything directly from a US source yet eh. I get my wargames re directed from a Texas Bell that is easily why that state should be proud. The cost to me for a wargame in Canada is basically 2 dollars more than it is for a person living in Texas. Cool eh

Oh and Canada Customs, sit on this and rotate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by JerseyJohn:

Welcome aboard KH

According to the SC map, the United States and Canada are separated by the Atlantic -- I wonder if that's the reason?

No idea, except that it available through anything but the mail till fairly recently, maybe that area just hasn't opened up yet.

Interested in the answer myself.

LOL :D

Thanks for the welcome.

CM is available through "Military Hobbies" (the distributor) in Canada which includes free shipping. I usually buy Matrix Games through them.

Here's the website:

http://www.militaryhobbies.com/

Odd that SC is not available through Military Hobbies.

I spoke to someone at Military Hobbies and they said they WANT to carry SC, but so far there has been no deal made. So go figure :confused:

[ March 02, 2004, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Kelly's Heroes ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To Curry and Les:

Hi guys.

Les, SC does not have to be on any store shelves. Military Hobbies (see the link above) WANTS to carry it, and will ship wargames to people in Canada without the duty.

Military Hobbies carries all of Matrix Games, which means for us Canucks, we pay in Canadian $, avoid the nasty duty, and get free shipping.

Soooo, why is SC not available in Canada through Military Hobbies? There is NO shelf space that needs to be bought.

Canada is a huge market that remains untapped for SC.

My money is waiting to be spent. . .

[ March 02, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Kelly's Heroes ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vancouver here...

I bought SC online and it arrived without any customs issue. (Ditto for the Combat Mission series games that I never play because of SC)

There are a fair number of Canadian SC players, the market is not untapped I assure you.

If you want SC, just order it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KH,

Glad you enjoyed it, I've tried just about everything to get Hubert to stick some dirt in that blue hex, but he landscapes to his own georgraphic visions. I figure if the Atlantic were really on that scale North America would still have been visited by Europeans around 1492, except it would have been B. C.!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Friendly Fire:

Vancouver here...

I bought SC online and it arrived without any customs issue. (Ditto for the Combat Mission series games that I never play because of SC)

There are a fair number of Canadian SC players, the market is not untapped I assure you.

If you want SC, just order it!

Hi smile.gif

Odd. Whenever I buy games or anything else from the States, I get hit with shipping and duty. When you add in the exchange rate, a 25$ game winds up costing me 60-70$.

And for every Canuck playing SC, there are many more (like me) who haven't bought the game because of the cross border problem.

Surely, all of the problems could be solved by simply allowing Military Hobbies in Canada to carry SC so it can offer it to us ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by JerseyJohn:

KH,

Glad you enjoyed it, I've tried just about everything to get Hubert to stick some dirt in that blue hex, but he landscapes to his own georgraphic visions. I figure if the Atlantic were really on that scale North America would still have been visited by Europeans around 1492, except it would have been B. C.!

Pilgrim's in BC - has a nice ring to it.

Instead of tobacco, 'ol Chris would have returned to Europe with the rules to an old and ancient game - hockey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christ and Hockey -- I knew, somehow, that someday a Canadian would establish the link!

Now you've given me a vision of Jesus as a goalie, but really, I guess he'd be a ref. Man, reffing a hockey game tries the patience of a Saint, it would mean taking it only one step further! :rolleyes:

Well, now that I've got the entire Bible belt preparing to come and lynch me it might be a good time to have dinner -- Last Supper? :confused:

NO-no-no, got to get that stuff out of my head -- I can tell already you're a dangerous man KH! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christ and Hockey -- I knew, somehow, that someday a Canadian would establish the link!
Ummmm, JJ ... I think he was referring to Chris Columbus... :rolleyes:

Which makes better sense since IMMORTALS don't play hockey, at least they don't anymore, not since Hull and Orr retired to that sparkling Ice Palace in the Sky, yes? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stand corrected!

Hopefully the Bible Belt will cancel their contract.

Thank you Immer -- My apologies KH, chalk that one up to faulty eyesight -- now I'm wondering how many misunderstandings I've had because I squinted the wrong way?

Gotta find those trifocals!

[ March 02, 2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Christ and Hockey -- I knew, somehow, that someday a Canadian would establish the link!

Ummmm, JJ ... I think he was referring to Chris Columbus... :rolleyes:

Which makes better sense since IMMORTALS don't play hockey, at least they don't anymore, not since Hull and Orr retired to that sparkling Ice Palace in the Sky, yes? ;) </font>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I scored that Military Hobbies link due to its obviously well established model sources, but I am glad it is being given good PR for wargaming as well.

I don't buy nearly as much today, as I might have bought in the spend spend spend 80s. Which means I have a great wealth of models and board games, but not really all that much in the way of computer wargaming.

I would suppose, if the hobby was back dated 20 years in time, I would likely be able to say I owned every major computer wargame title instead heheh.

Man I miss the 80s (being healthy and with a reasonable job sooooo helps with an expensive hobby hehe smile.gif ).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

I think I scored that Military Hobbies link due to its obviously well established model sources, but I am glad it is being given good PR for wargaming as well.

I don't buy nearly as much today, as I might have bought in the spend spend spend 80s. Which means I have a great wealth of models and board games, but not really all that much in the way of computer wargaming.

I would suppose, if the hobby was back dated 20 years in time, I would likely be able to say I owned every major computer wargame title instead heheh.

Man I miss the 80s (being healthy and with a reasonable job sooooo helps with an expensive hobby hehe smile.gif ).

I bought some Matrix Games through Military Hobbies - I highly recommend it. It even has a toll free number to call. Games are delivered within 3 days anywhere in Canada.

I know what you mean about funds. Oh, boy, especially with the stable of games Matrix has coming out. When they all hit the market, there's going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth among the wives and girlfriends - heh.

Now if only SC could be had in Canada. . .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Odd. Whenever I buy games or anything else from the States, I get hit with shipping and duty. When you add in the exchange rate, a 25$ game winds up costing me 60-70$.
It doesn't seem to be a problem with Battlefront games... There was a looong thread in the CMAK forum on this topic, I looked for it but it might have been moved to an archive. At any rate, the gist of it was that almost nobody reported paying duty (shhh, don't tell the tax guys!)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

It was not easy for Matrix Games to get put on the shelf, and I suppose it won't be easy for Battlefront.

You get it exactly the wrong way, Les. We have been hammered with requests to put our games on the shelf, and have had the luxury to sit back and choose the partner we felt most comfortable with. Battlefront's games are not automatically available through retail and distributors by design, not accident or lack of interest and offers. It's the *easy* thing to do to put a game on the shelf. The problem is that when a game is on the shelf, everybody makes money except for the people who made the game.

Therefore we release our games online only by design. This ensures that 100% of your dollars go to the people who make the game, and ensures that after SC there will be a SC2. It ensures that SC is even available still, more than a year after original release, because in retail it would by now be either $4.99 in a budget bin - or not available at all.

We use retail to our advantage for two things - first, get impulse customers and those that have some kind of problem with purchasing online. But these guys have to wait at least 1-2 years for our games (3 years in the case of Combat Mission 1), and sometimes they will never get them (TacOps). And secondly, the European market. The internet is still not as developed there as in North America, so we get a considerable increase in market penetration by going retail simultaneously.

We used to have a detailed "Manifesto" about this stuff on our page a while ago, and a short version is still available at the ABOUT US page.

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moon:

I understand not wanting to put your games on the retail shelf - that makes sense financially.

However, my original question was not answered.

Why is CM available in Canada through Military Hobbies, while SC is not?

This does not involve buying shelf space.

Could you please answer this question?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Friendly Fire:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Odd. Whenever I buy games or anything else from the States, I get hit with shipping and duty. When you add in the exchange rate, a 25$ game winds up costing me 60-70$.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with Battlefront games... There was a looong thread in the CMAK forum on this topic, I looked for it but it might have been moved to an archive. At any rate, the gist of it was that almost nobody reported paying duty (shhh, don't tell the tax guys!) </font>
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification actually Moon.

I have seen Korsun on the shelf as well as Squad Assault and Uncommon Valour. Unsure if it was genuinely worth the effort though.

In each case, it was a single article. And I have seen this in a few EB outlets or other comparable locations.

But again, totally unsure if it was practical after the fact.

I have long thought retail shelf was required, but have had to reluctantly admit to possibly rethinking that line of thought as maybe just my being a bit old fashioned.

I have seen CM on the shelf a couple of times. Although sadly it was a used copy too.

I don't do used software ever. And certainly not used with only a 10% reduction in price.

Used to me means you get hit with a 40% reduction like the rest of the business world.

Kelly, you might also inquire of MH to for that matter, it might be their error of omission and not BF smile.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

Kelly, you might also inquire of MH to for that matter, it might be their error of omission and not BF smile.gif [/QB]

I talked directly over the phone with someone from MH. He stated they WANT to carry SC, but it was BF that has refused to let them sell it :rolleyes:

So my original question stands:

Why isn't SC available in Canada? :confused:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kelly's Heroes, sorry, I should have been more clear - when I was talking about "shelf", I meant really everything that involves a reseller or distributor, online or brick'n mortar.

CM is available (if you say so) from MH (and many other resellers and retailers) because CM (1 and 2) are available through CDV's distribution channels. CMAK isn't (not legally at least - we always run into some black imports from the UK unfortunately) and won't be for quite a while, and SC only has been released into the North American reseller channels a couple of weeks ago, so it didn't quite make it to Canada just yet.

I just had confirmation from CDV today that SC will be available in Canadian stores next week. It might take a little longer outside of the bigger cities I presume, and I am not sure if/when MH will get it (they should talk to CDV-USA).

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Moon:

Kelly's Heroes, sorry, I should have been more clear - when I was talking about "shelf", I meant really everything that involves a reseller or distributor, online or brick'n mortar.

CM is available (if you say so) from MH (and many other resellers and retailers) because CM (1 and 2) are available through CDV's distribution channels. CMAK isn't (not legally at least - we always run into some black imports from the UK unfortunately) and won't be for quite a while, and SC only has been released into the North American reseller channels a couple of weeks ago, so it didn't quite make it to Canada just yet.

I just had confirmation from CDV today that SC will be available in Canadian stores next week. It might take a little longer outside of the bigger cities I presume, and I am not sure if/when MH will get it (they should talk to CDV-USA).

Martin

Martin:

Those are words dear to my ear smile.gif

A lot of fellow Canadian wargamers will be happy troopers smile.gif

About CM. Don't take my word for it. Just go to the MH website (see the link in my post above) and you'll see CM available as well as many more wargames from other Companies.

My money is already sitting on the table ready for the purchase :D

[ March 03, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Kelly's Heroes ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...