Ireland needs a port!

As the British I decided to invade Ireland to get a few extra MPPs. After taking Dublin I realized that there was no way to get my troops off the island! I ended up disbanding one of the armies and used the corps to garrison Dublin.

Seems like there should be a way to get the troops home.

[ May 27, 2002, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Warren Peace ]

Originally posted by Wolfpack:

Gee, now who needs some sleep? :D

Sorry, slipped into my golum mode there.

If you move the unit into the city hex, you can disband it for full points. Then just buy another in the UK.

Originally posted by Warren Peace:

Also, you might want to think about making an invasion of ireland politically more risky. It should reduce the USA going to war percentage.

Agreed.

And to add, you can't disband a non-UK unit. I took dublin with a Canadian army, which was then stuck, period, in Ireland.

They must have to stay behind to quell the uprising!

Even if there are no partisans, shouldn't any conquered country have a chance to revert to neutral, or even to the enemy if there are no garrison units? In the case if a small country like Ireland, a single corps within one hex of the capital should suffice.

And, any attacks on neutral countries by the French or British should have negative effects to US war readiness.

You know, up until this post I hadn't thought of taking Ireland (... historical bias -- I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees).

But now, I do it every time -- the plunder provides MPPs for that tank-detachment that is sorely needed in Egypt.

There is a penalty, perhaps delaying US entry by a turn or so (I don't remember if Russia was significantly influenced), but is it enough to prevent this ahistorical eventuality?

I am all for What-If possibilities, but does this give Britain too much of an early edge?

There is a penalty, perhaps delaying US entry by a turn or so (I don't remember if Russia was significantly influenced), but is it enough to prevent this ahistorical eventuality?

The delay of US entry could be by as much as 7 turns and not having the port there was in a way to make it less tempting.

Hope that helps,

Hubert

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

not having the port there was in a way to make it less tempting.

With all due respect, I think it's a very poor way to do so. The reason that the UK didn't invade Ireland historically was not because there was no way to get back off the island. redface.gif

[ May 29, 2002, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Ancient One ]

I think what Hubert is getting at, is that a port adds even more MPPs, and so makes it an even more tempting target. A port and a city is a much jucier target than just a port, and having no way to get back off evens it up a bit. Might be a different story if the cities all had differing MPP levels.

Originally posted by R_Leete:

I think what Hubert is getting at, is that a port adds even more MPPs, and so makes it an even more tempting target. A port and a city is a much jucier target than just a port, and having no way to get back off evens it up a bit. Might be a different story if the cities all had differing MPP levels.

Perhaps they should then. I mean are Dublin and Munich even in the same universe when it comes to industrial capacity?

John DiFool

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

The delay of US entry could be by as much as 7 turns and not having the port there was in a way to make it less tempting.

Hope that helps,

Hubert</font>