Finland

DSEDS

Hi all!

I play the demo and waiting for my ordered full version. :(

Under which conditions will Finland join the Axis.

I pocketed Leningrad from the south and Finland do nothing!?!?!

Historically Hun, Rom, Bulg and Finland take part on Barbarosa from the first hour.

The conditions are that the Russians bomb Helsinki and thus declare war on Finland. Then, Finland must retake the territories they lost to the Russians in the Winter War (looks like the finns are conveniently situated there at the start;).

Hehe, just kidding.

Anyway, don´t expect wonders from the Finland of SC : their troops are just as crappy as the Hungarian, Bulgarian and Romanian troops.

Of course, you could edit the Finns to have 2 exp at the start but then you´d have to activate Finland from the start....but it´d work ok for the later campaigns.

Ugh. Finland is horrible for the Axis at the start of the war in Russia. All they can do is make sure the Russians keep some troops in that area.

My last game as the Allies I purchased a Tank Group, Army group and an HQ to take Finland out early. Not only did I get experience for my units but I plundered some much needed MPP's. I then was able to swing my units down south to help alleviate the pressure the Germans were putting on their road to Moscow. So far Finland only seems like cannon fodder and free MPP's for the Russians.

The problem is not the weakness of Finland but the trouble the game have of simulating the germans putting pressure on Russia.

Kuniworth, you are an ignorant fool! (Hehe just kidding, don´t take offense please)

Anyways, putting any "nationalist pride" for events that happened 60 years ago, the finnish troops really were much, much superior to the Russians.

Even the SS that were sent to Finland did not make it in the Finnish conditions and terrain.

I do agree that a major part of Finnish superiority (and thus survival) in WW2 had to do with the conditions and the terrain which the Russians could not cope with, except for the elite Siberian troops (even they were not enough to do the trick!) but much of it had to do with the tenacity and the desire to prevail too along with the generally superior condition of the troops (enabling them to keep on fighting for inhumane periods of time against hopeless odds) and sound tactics.

Oh well, enough of that.

Just to show that my argument is not just some nationalistic finn´s rant, I´m going to say that the general quality of the finnish troops today is rubbish, and I do believe it´d be best to create a small, truly professional army instead of this large one (we do not need it at the moment or in the foreseeable future : the only threat I can come up with is Russia breaking into multiple rogue states, and one of them say the "Leningrad protectorate" attacks Finland for resources smile.gif

Pretty far-fetched ;)