My conspiracy theory about SC 2.

Comrade Trapp

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

05HGD04.jpg

"But Comrade I was only trying to help reconcile things -- remember, after the last ten new guys you drove away you asked me to, uh, you know, try and smooth things over a little. Anyway, now I found my lantern and I'm going back to ring the bell!"

The_Godfather.JPG

"Never question my authority in front of the others again, you understand me?!?"

I remember when the first God Father novel came out. I was still stationed in Maine and a flight officer, a full bird I played a lot of chess with, gave me the paperback copy he'd just finished and said, "You Aye-talians have got the right idea." After reading it, despite my father not having been in that position, I was amazed at how much he really did resemble Mario Puzo's character, especially as played by Brando in the movie. Personally, I don't think the family respect part was so much Italian as an old fashioned concept which, even thirty years ago, was fading out in America.

On the other hand, that colonel might actually have been talking about rubbing out people you don't get along with -- wish I'd have asked him about it! :D

Kurt

An appropriate image, one that will be even more appropriate in, oh, six months!

When I was in one of the little jokes was to schedule basics arrival for late at night and have the smokey sergeant act pissed off because they dragged him out of bed -- ! :D

I'm starting to really enjoy that lunatic's show on the History Channel.

[ February 23, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

05HGD04.jpg

"But Comrade I was only trying to help reconcile things -- remember, after the last ten new guys you drove away you asked me to, uh, you know, try and smooth things over a little. Anyway, now I found my lantern and I'm going back to ring the bell!"

The_Godfather.JPG

"Never question my authority in front of the others again, you understand me?!?"

I remember when the first God Father novel came out. I was still stationed in Maine and a flight officer, a full bird I played a lot of chess with, gave me the paperback copy he'd just finished and said, "You Aye-talians have got the right idea." After reading it, despite my father not having been in that position, I was amazed at how much he really did resemble Mario Puzo's character, especially as played by Brando in the movie. Personally, I don't think the family respect part was so much Italian as an old fashioned concept which, even thirty years ago, was fading out in America.

On the other hand, that colonel might actually have been talking about rubbing out people you don't get along with -- wish I'd have asked him about it! :D

Kurt

An appropriate image, one that will be even more appropriate in, oh, six months!

When I was in one of the little jokes was to schedule basics arrival for late at night and have the smokey sergeant act pissed off because they dragged him out of bed -- ! :D

I'm starting to really enjoy that lunatic's show on the History Channel.

[ February 23, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

The scary part is I see him smirking and thinking, "Only fifty, all right, no sweat!"

Though, naturally, if the Drill Instructor sees the smirk he'll probably add another hundred!

If Comrade, after he finishes going through all the first year preliminaries, isn't recognized as potentially making a great Drill Sergeant, I'd be very surprised.

Kurt

No doubt it was my imagination, but in reading your last post I could have sworn I heard gleeful chortling! :D

[ February 23, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

The scary part is I see him smirking and thinking, "Only fifty, all right, no sweat!"

Though, naturally, if the Drill Instructor sees the smirk he'll probably add another hundred!

If Comrade, after he finishes going through all the first year preliminaries, isn't recognized as potentially making a great Drill Sergeant, I'd be very surprised.

Kurt

No doubt it was my imagination, but in reading your last post I could have sworn I heard gleeful chortling! :D

[ February 23, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Kurt88's Full Metal Jacket Pic brings this to mind:

It's 1966 and I am in these beat-up old wooden barracks... fiddling around with some dice in my foot-locker top, WHEN!

Here comes the Smokey the Bear and he YELLS!

"What are you doing! Where is your weapon!"

Standing up straight, I say,

"My gun is... "

The subsequent discussion could be heard all the way from Fort Polk to New Orleans.

"NO, NO! You don't have a GUN! What DO you have?"

Leaning away, VERY slightly from the foul breath, I finally wise up and respond:

"You are RIGHT! Sergeant, I have... an M-16 RIFLE!"

He leans in further, red in the face:

"That's right *&%$@-ing idiot, you have a... RIFLE! But, no brain. And why is that?"

"Because, Sergeant! If the Army had wanted me to have one of those useless things, it would have issued me one...right?... sir?"

The thing is, at some time or other, we are ALL like those barracks boys in that Pic... and so, some times, you just gotta accept that... IMMENSE and RELENTLESS ILLOGIC ... and just move on along... as Comrade Trapp will soon enough discover. ;)

[ February 23, 2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Immer Etwas ]

Kurt88's Full Metal Jacket Pic brings this to mind:

It's 1966 and I am in these beat-up old wooden barracks... fiddling around with some dice in my foot-locker top, WHEN!

Here comes the Smokey the Bear and he YELLS!

"What are you doing! Where is your weapon!"

Standing up straight, I say,

"My gun is... "

The subsequent discussion could be heard all the way from Fort Polk to New Orleans.

"NO, NO! You don't have a GUN! What DO you have?"

Leaning away, VERY slightly from the foul breath, I finally wise up and respond:

"You are RIGHT! Sergeant, I have... an M-16 RIFLE!"

He leans in further, red in the face:

"That's right *&%$@-ing idiot, you have a... RIFLE! But, no brain. And why is that?"

"Because, Sergeant! If the Army had wanted me to have one of those useless things, it would have issued me one...right?... sir?"

The thing is, at some time or other, we are ALL like those barracks boys in that Pic... and so, some times, you just gotta accept that... IMMENSE and RELENTLESS ILLOGIC ... and just move on along... as Comrade Trapp will soon enough discover. ;)

[ February 23, 2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Immer Etwas ]

Air Force Basic, compared with any other branch, was a breeze. But even there the one thing that scares the hell out of most guys scared the hell out of me -- that first night I lay on the top bunk looking at the darkened ceiling, thinking, "Four more years of this kind of stupidity -- what the hell did I get myself into?"

A couple of months later, when I was gleefully playing a bugle at raising and lowering the flag -- it was an entirely different scene and I loved it.

As for the bugle playing, I didn't make an issue of it but somehow they knew I played the trumpet and they had vacancies in the base Drum and Bugle Corps, so that's where I wandered. A few months later I requested permanent posting to a marching band and was sent to a SAC base in Northern Maine.

Upon arrival, reporting to the Base Commander, I was more than a little shocked to learn the band consisted of a tape player and a P.A. system. Even more shocked to learn I was listed as a trained aircraft refueler -- that despite having never even seen a B-52 or KC-135! The Colonel laughed and said, "Okay, it's good you brought that trumpet, there are a few dance bands in the area (and there were!) and I'll change this so they'll know you need OJT."

Anyway, as you say, it's a different sort of mindset and one nothing can quite prepare a person for. Basic, which made little sense to me at the time, makes perfect sense to me now. I went in having been told all sorts of horrow stories, so I wasn't exactly naive, and despite that I was still a bit unravelled. Things got a little better the second day when a new friend pointed to me and said, "That guy looks like some old general who drinks too much!"

Air Force Basic, compared with any other branch, was a breeze. But even there the one thing that scares the hell out of most guys scared the hell out of me -- that first night I lay on the top bunk looking at the darkened ceiling, thinking, "Four more years of this kind of stupidity -- what the hell did I get myself into?"

A couple of months later, when I was gleefully playing a bugle at raising and lowering the flag -- it was an entirely different scene and I loved it.

As for the bugle playing, I didn't make an issue of it but somehow they knew I played the trumpet and they had vacancies in the base Drum and Bugle Corps, so that's where I wandered. A few months later I requested permanent posting to a marching band and was sent to a SAC base in Northern Maine.

Upon arrival, reporting to the Base Commander, I was more than a little shocked to learn the band consisted of a tape player and a P.A. system. Even more shocked to learn I was listed as a trained aircraft refueler -- that despite having never even seen a B-52 or KC-135! The Colonel laughed and said, "Okay, it's good you brought that trumpet, there are a few dance bands in the area (and there were!) and I'll change this so they'll know you need OJT."

Anyway, as you say, it's a different sort of mindset and one nothing can quite prepare a person for. Basic, which made little sense to me at the time, makes perfect sense to me now. I went in having been told all sorts of horrow stories, so I wasn't exactly naive, and despite that I was still a bit unravelled. Things got a little better the second day when a new friend pointed to me and said, "That guy looks like some old general who drinks too much!"

Understood. I was a little frustrated after I'd posted a few questions (mainly directed at the BF people) about the upcoming SC2 and not receiving any answers. I'm used to the Matrix forum where moderators keep us all informed about game developments. I didn't take anything personally. And if BF chooses not to keep us up to date on new projects it is probably because they are all hard at work getting these wonderful games of their's completed, so I don't have a problem with that, either. One last point. The more newbies that log on to these forums and show an interest in wargames, the more (and better) wargames will be produced. Demand increases supply. So lets encourage this hobby of ours. IMHO we are in direct competition with the 1st person shooters.

Understood. I was a little frustrated after I'd posted a few questions (mainly directed at the BF people) about the upcoming SC2 and not receiving any answers. I'm used to the Matrix forum where moderators keep us all informed about game developments. I didn't take anything personally. And if BF chooses not to keep us up to date on new projects it is probably because they are all hard at work getting these wonderful games of their's completed, so I don't have a problem with that, either. One last point. The more newbies that log on to these forums and show an interest in wargames, the more (and better) wargames will be produced. Demand increases supply. So lets encourage this hobby of ours. IMHO we are in direct competition with the 1st person shooters.

Originally posted by Cheesehead:

Let me be the first to welcome you back!

I have read your posts and you would seem to have knowledge that would be an asset to this board.

Keep posting and pardon the occaisional meanderings of the natives!

;)