How do you play a game vs someone not through email?

poots

When you play SC online (=TCP/IP) vs human opponents you will see your opponents actions in realtime. When he moves a unit that is in your spotting range, you will see it live at the moment he moves it - there is no replay.

The active player can save (and resume it later) at every moment of the game - the other one can only sit and watch...and make plans how to kill the most enemies in his next turn :D .

Just give it a try smile.gif .

Is there anyway to communicate to your opponent in game, or do you have to use icq or something? Also, do people ever play speed type games, like chess? How do you enforce time limits? I am sure some people can mull over there turns for a long time.

There's a "TCPIP Quick How To" text file included in your SC directory that explains all this. There are instructions for using the chat feature by pressing "T." All you need is SC and your internet connection. It's pretty easy.

Also remember that you can switch between PBEM games and TCP/IP. If you end a PBEM turn you can move the .sav file from the Pbem directory to the Tcpip directory and then start a TCP/IP game later. And vice versa. This offers flexibility and a means to keep games going between marathon TCP/IP sessions. Try it. smile.gif

As originally posted by pzgndr:

Also remember that you can switch between PBEM games and TCP/IP.

Which is an excellent way to play, because it gives you a chance to pause and regroup and mull over ALL the little mistakes that you've made.

And if you are playing tcp/ip, then there is no doubt that you HAVE made many small and potentially overwhelming mistakes (... and if you are like me, some larger ones too!!), unless of course you are some kind of X-treme Manic Commander who THRIVES on real-time, split-second decision making.

Some gamers are like that. With SC or Chess or RTS or simply stroking down the boulevard, searching for fragile happenstance or even, Trouble.

And, they have an unfair advantage over those who prefer to... MOSEY on along, singing a little blue-bird song as they ponder the game-board.

BEWARE!! of any who would ONLY play tcp/ip... they are IN their element, I tell you, they have super-animated shock Synapses and WILL push and parry and push and harry and all the while they are smacking that "T" (... talk) button like mad, hoping to confuse and thwart your very patient arrangement of field forces!! :eek:

I don't mind playing either way. I suppose it depends on your innate ability to TUNE IN, and as necessary, TUNE OUT.

Or, DROP IN, DROP OUT, etc. (... Tune In, Turn On and Drop Out?)

Well anyway, each has their favorite way to play... if you like to WIN now and again, best to schedule the game on your HOME FIELD occasionally. Meaning, tcp/ip OR pbem, depending on your prevailing psychological make-up.

Or, as pzgndr has suggested, a little of both. ;)