Basic question - Tanks and marshes

Bromley

Logically, I can see why the two don't mix. However, what is it in the game formula that means that a Soviet tank can advance and score 1:2 from a plain hex at an enemy army on a plain hex, yet only 1:1 when attacking from a marsh?

On a related note, how should I best use marsh hexes as the Russian defender?

- A unit attacking from a marsh hex gets a 50% penalty (same as attacking from rivers). So if possible this should be avoided (only useful to reduce enemy entrenchment, but costly).

- A defender in marshes gets + 2 ground defence bonus (i.e. reduces the damage for the defender).

- So Russia can use it similar to rivers: entrench a unit behind the marsh in open terrain and it is well protected against enemy attacks from the swamp smile.gif

- You can also place units in the swamp for defence purposes (against ground attacks it is protected like a unit in open terrain with entrenchment 2), but since it is not protected against air attacks there, a position behind the swamp is better for defence + you can attack an enemy unit in the swamp if necessary.

As usual Terif, you're a star. Thanks. I did RTFM, but I missed the marsh=river point.

One thing to add, in case someone searches for "marsh" later, is that the movement cost of marshes is 2. So there's a supply penalty to occupying a marsh vs. occupying an open square. Russia can use the Pripet to soak up German supply.