Damaged buildings

I have recently played some scenarios which feature damaged and heavily damaged buildings. Since there is no specific tile for damaged bulidings, is there any sort of 'secret' way of adding damaged buildings to the map, as there is with the destroyed bridge. I would check the manual, but I figured posting on the forum would be faster.

Took me 15 seconds to find it on page 143

Useful thing the manual and quicker than waiting ;)

From the CMBB FAQ, just in case..

"A final word of warning. Everyone knows that piracy is rife in the computer games industry. If you downloaded a freebie copy and start asking questions which show that you haven't read the manual, expect very little slack. The forum posters here are proud of their community, and very protective of Battlefront.com. Every time you download CM:BB or CM:BO for free, you cheat these people out of their lunch money, and you slow down the progress of future games. Piracy doesn't affect the big software houses in the way that it affects a tiny publisher like BFC. Do them a favour and us a favour - if you like the game, spend the money. It's worth every penny, cent, dime, groat, guinea, euro, kroner, or pango-pango nut you pay for it."

[ January 22, 2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Originally posted by Wicky:

"A final word of warning. Everyone knows that piracy is rife in the computer games industry. If you downloaded a freebie copy and start asking questions which show that you haven't read the manual, expect very little slack. The forum posters here are proud of their community, and very protective of Battlefront.com. Every time you download CM:BB or CM:BO for free, you cheat these people out of their lunch money, and you slow down the progress of future games. Piracy doesn't affect the big software houses in the way that it affects a tiny publisher like BFC. Do them a favour and us a favour - if you like the game, spend the money. It's worth every penny, cent, dime, groat, guinea, euro, kroner, or pango-pango nut you pay for it."

Yea Buddy, Hip Hip, and all that stuffola... Pirates beheaded...!!!! :D

That is all...

-FR

Have I just been accused of piracy by you two? I simply thought there was a way of placing damaged buildings on the map in the scenario editor without using the map generator, since you could be more precise in the placement of these damaged buildings. There was a description in the manual of how to place destroyed bridges (on page 146), and so I naturally assumed there was a similar hidden way for damaged buildings, but came up with nothing after a few minutes. Wanting to get on with playing CMAK, I simply just posted this topic and got on my way. I paid every single penny and anxiously waited the 3 weeks for the game to arrive (as I live in Canada and border customs is slow). I am above ripping off any sort of program, music file etc., and am understandibly infuriated by such an accusation :mad:

Gentlemen:

In polite discourse, it goes without saying to assume the one you are speaking to is your equal. To say it bluntly, the first rule of conversation is to assume that the person you are speaking to is not a liar unless you are given cause to assume he is a liar.

To tell you the truth, I myself am often hesitant to post in this forum for fear of the self-appointed piracy police and the "RTFM" wags. If "RTFM" (Read The Frickin Manual) is your most helpful response, then you should reconsider posting your reply.

Exeter -- Welcome to CM. It is better than this. Trust me. To expand on Fredrock's answer, I know of no way to create a partially damaged building. The process for placing a damaged building is similar to bridges. Place "rubble" (I think you need to avoid "high rubble"), view map, go back to editor, and place the building type you want over the rubble. (Same as bridges, I might have the steps out of order -- I have to "re-remember" it every time I do it.). Good luck.

BTW -- you can use similar methods for placing some "nasty surprises" (some of which I learned from Fredrock) on your maps... like AT guns in buildings... or even tanks in buildings! Visit the "tips" section at The Proving Grounds if interested. (www.the-proving-grounds.com).

Cheers to all,

Emily Post

Sorry Emily Post/Bannon DC but when asks about something that is within 3 pages of what they later refer to reading in the manual and obviously hasn't bothered to do a search, then I personly feel they are the ones initially assuming a lot from fellow forumites. Especially when he was given the solution to his problem (pg 146) without saying thanks for my 15 seconds of time.

Originally posted by Bannon DC:

Gentlemen:

In polite discourse, it goes without saying to assume the one you are speaking to is your equal. To say it bluntly, the first rule of conversation is to assume that the person you are speaking to is not a liar unless you are given cause to assume he is a liar.

To tell you the truth, I myself am often hesitant to post in this forum for fear of the self-appointed piracy police and the "RTFM" wags. If "RTFM" (Read The Frickin Manual) is your most helpful response, then you should reconsider posting your reply.

Exeter -- Welcome to CM. It is better than this. Trust me. To expand on Fredrock's answer, I know of no way to create a partially damaged building. The process for placing a damaged building is similar to bridges. Place "rubble" (I think you need to avoid "high rubble"), view map, go back to editor, and place the building type you want over the rubble. (Same as bridges, I might have the steps out of order -- I have to "re-remember" it every time I do it.). Good luck.

BTW -- you can use similar methods for placing some "nasty surprises" (some of which I learned from Fredrock) on your maps... like AT guns in buildings... or even tanks in buildings! Visit the "tips" section at The Proving Grounds if interested. (www.the-proving-grounds.com).

Cheers to all,

Emily Post

Wicky --

My CMBB manual is 262 pages. I think a new member of the community can be forgiven for not having memorized his manual. Given time, certainly he will.

His request for help seems to have offended you in some way and you were quick to point that out. In addition, you were more than cautioning him on the evils of piracy -- you were indirectly accusing him of theft. And now you are asking him to thank you for your curt reply? Doesn't that seem a little over the line to you? I guess not.

You are under no obligation to reply to his post. Your self-appointed role as piracy police is not welcomed. As helpful as you may think your are, you are quite the opposite. As a member of this forum, you don't speak for me and in fact, you and some others give this forum a bad name with such conduct.

Bannon

Bannon

Please reread thead again, What irked me after I and others tried to point the original poster in the right direction, was him saying "I know where the Manual is." but refusing to bother to read it, look in the index or do a search.

In my time I've wiped bums if the person isn't capable, as I'm a helpful kind of guy but I would be a fool to do so if they are perfectly capable of doing it for themselves.

The quote referring to the short shrift to be expected to people who ask questions that show they haven't read the manual, was something that is posted in the FAQ* sticky thread and still seems reasonable to me.

If you disagree, fine.

*Topic: Frequently-Asked Questions: Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin: NEWBIES PLEASE READ

Welcome to the Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin FAQ. We recommend that all new forum members or players read this thread as thoroughly as possible - it should answer a great many of your questions...

While I agree with the pros and cons of this argument I have to say that if you read all the threads on CM on this site, we could respond with Read the manual for most questions. I have trawled through a lot of threads and if the answer was this all the time there would hardly be any banter. I have frequently read the manual, but reading hundreds of pages on my pc is tedious. I have learned more from posters here than I ever did trawling through the manual. It is especially true when all I have is a PDF, not easy to read that as you play. However I do tend to agree with Junks last post too. Caught in the middle me.

I bought the game (CM:BB, in my case), and for reasons unknown, I can't access the manual on the CD. Hard drive just goes into mobius when I try.

No, I don't understand how the game can be installed and run fine, and yet trying to look at the game-disk in any other way results in a certain amount of swearing and a re-boot.

(Nor can I use any other program, like Windows (file) Explorer, as long as the CM CD is in the CD drive. I have to pop the CD if I want to do anything else, or the system crashes.)

No doubt, the result of peculiarities of my system. I suppose.

But, I did pay for the bugger. Even if it did not come with the second mods-CD as the 'special edition' box advertised. (No, it's too late to 'take it back' to the store).

I'm just saying... I've asked a few questions in these forums, and every time I did, I have had to wonder "Gee, is this covered in the manual?".

(And apparently, none of my questions have been. Yet).

Junk2drive and everyone else, if in anyway I came off as an arrogant, condescending SOB, I do apologize. I was becoming frustrated with the manual, since there was no page with information on how to place damaged buildings. From these posts I have determined that there is no way that you can directly control their placement.

Exeter - This is what I was initially trying to direct you towards - I didn't mean it to turn nasty

pg 143 - Damage – can be None, Light, Medium, Heavy, Massive. Determines the number of craters seen on the map, as well as damage to any structures done prior to battle. Urban maps with massive damage will be little more than smoldering ruins. Note that maps with massive damage can put quite a strain on your hardware.

pg 146 - Note: There is a hidden feature which allows you to place destroyed bridges and other buildings on the map, including factories and churches (which do not have their own terrain palette). Here’s how it works: place a rubble tile on the desired spot (DON’T use “flat rubble”). Preview the map (important!). The “destroyed” tag is now fixed for that particular tile. Now go back to the map editor and place a bridge or building on top of the tile. Go into preview again – the bridge or building will now be shown as “destroyed”.

• 1 month later...

Here's a tip for adding random 'damaged' buildings: get yourself Pyewacket's Map Converter. Generate a template map with your preferred amount of damage, then clear it. Import your own map to Map Converter, load to CMAK the template and then export from Map Converter on top of that template.