How many here have fallen sway to the power of CM

Canuck

I'm just curious as to how many people here have gone out and bought CMBO or CMBB as a result of the influence of the CM'ers in the general forum or just by looking at the website. Are most people here those who originally played CM and came over to SC or did you go the other way, or did you all of a sudden just discover SC and never looked back (or at CM)

I discovered SC as a result of playing CM, being around these forums.

I don't know if it's on topic or not, but I'll respond:

I am not interested in military games (wargames) that focus exclusively on combat. The fascination of SC to me is the ability to work at the level of the government/army interface (research points, moving forces, declaring war, etc.). The actual "break through the line, encircle the enemy, take the city" stuff is less interesting to me. So I have almost no interest in a game that deals with combat at such small levels or time periods. I think this really comes down to personal taste.

I have another idea that I will put in a separate thread.

I started as a CM player (sort of). I got CMBO, played it a little, ditto CMBB. Then I got curious about SC, bought that and haven't touched CM since. I know that CM is an excellent game, I do enjoy operational level combat, I don't know why myself why CM ultimately does not appeal to me.

Maybe I just haven't given the CM engine enough time to really grow on me. But with HPS's Panzer Campaigns: Smolensk '41 and Fulda Gap '85 in my stable of wargames, I'm not sure when I'll ever have time to do that. :D

Started of with CMBO, then moved onto CMBB which I still play a lot.

Somewhere in between I bought SC, was pretty disappointed at first and hardly played it. lately I played a game or 5 against the AI untill I won. Now the appeal is gone again, i could howver play again with increased experience level but some how......

porblem for me SC is just a digital version of the old board game Axis and Allied I played 10 years ago. It is a little to high level for me. 1 icon respresenting a army or tankgroup or a single battleship (probably with supporting vessels). I would to see a gme in which you have the grand Strategy level an dinterface like in SC but when attacking a province/sector/ area the level "zooms in" to the specifics of that province, and the army is shown in it's detal unto level of division or even regiments/brigades.

basically some more micro management and more detailed level of battles on the operational level in combination with the strategic/tactical level of SC

gr

Screeny

Originally posted by Beer Rules:

I find it strange that so many people talk **** about HOI. Sure it has a steep learning curve, but it give you so much **** to do, and it has great replay value. Being able to attack random ass countries is fun sometimes.

The learning curve isn't that bad, no worst than any well developed 4X game. My problem was the Air and Naval combat models, especially regarding carriers were broken. The game is still on my HD and I'm hoping the next patch, which it seems we've been waiting for a long time, will address this.

[ April 19, 2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: ChuckK ]

Originally posted by ChuckK:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Beer Rules:

I find it strange that so many people talk **** about HOI. Sure it has a steep learning curve, but it give you so much **** to do, and it has great replay value. Being able to attack random ass countries is fun sometimes.

The learning curve isn't that bad, no worst than any well developed 4X game. My problem was the Air and Naval combat models, especially regarding carriers were broken. The game is still on my HD and I'm hoping the next patch, which it seems we've been waiting for a long time, will address this. </font>

As originally posted by jmbunnelle:

I enjoy both HOI and SC and don't understand the pissing match between the fans of each.

I do.

It mostly has to do with paying $50.00 for an item that was not remotely finished... in fact, was a muddled mess. Perhaps there are those who don't mind throwing away hard earned cash, but I am not one of them.

And it has everything to do with providing a product that didn't match the exalted claims, not by a long shot. :eek:

The ONLY way the word will get around about extremely shoddy merchandise, is... if someone makes it quite evident that they do not care for this kind of sloppy marketing, yes?

Nothing wrong with that. ;)

I stopped playing HOI some time ago....don't miss it, as there are too many good games to play and my time for playing them is limited.... Paradox/SF will not care that I now longer play HOI as they already have my money....I do know though that I will not purchase HOI 2 if ever such an animal comes out.....

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />As originally posted by jmbunnelle:

I enjoy both HOI and SC and don't understand the pissing match between the fans of each.

I do.

It mostly has to do with paying $50.00 for an item that was not remotely finished... in fact, was a muddled mess. Perhaps there are those who don't mind throwing away hard earned cash, but I am not one of them.

And it has everything to do with providing a product that didn't match the exalted claims, not by a long shot. :eek:

The ONLY way the word will get around about extremely shoddy merchandise, is... if someone makes it quite evident that they do not care for this kind of sloppy marketing, yes?

Nothing wrong with that. ;) </font>

HoI sucks, big waste of my $50. Serves me right for the impulse buy. :rolleyes:

Anyone else play TacOps4 ? Just getting into that and it's great. Not as stellar as CM when it comes to graphics(and I wish it had the replay capability), but like SC, huge bang for the buck at $25.