Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Suggestions for SC

codman

I really enjoy the demo for this game and I'm waiting to see when it's

released. I do have some minor quibbles though and they mainly deal

with the "random" settings for the different countries.

In the 30 orso games I've played the Italians always come in on the Axis side asdo most of the historical minor Axis allies. To me if you've got the country settings on random you should see the Italians going with the Allies every now and then. I think it would make it a much more

interesting game. The same for the Allies, there should be a chance that the Russians join the Axis side or that there is a pro Germany coup in Yugoslavia.

Another idea I had is to allow you to spend some of your MMP's for diplomacy so cause countries to join your side or to switch sides. Once again this could a function of the random setting.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to allow players to funnel MMP's from one country to another. Right now some of the "smaller" countries really struggle to generate MMp's while others like Germany, the USA and Russia get plenty on just about every turn. To me if Italy is an Axis power and they're the first to get Industrial Tech. researched you could pump them up with funds from Germany or other minor Axis allies.

Lastly I'd like to see a way for multi-player games with each player running a country. It would make for a long PBEM game but maybe

playing H2H online would fun.

As I said earlier I'm very excieted about this game and I hope to see it up for sale soon.

Steve

I really enjoy the demo for this game and I'm waiting to see when it's

released.

Glad to hear smile.gif

I do have some minor quibbles though and they mainly deal

with the "random" settings for the different countries.

I can see how this setting can sound misleading, it actually means "random" within a *historical context*, more specifically if and when do these countries join their historical alliances. This is determined by game play and means that major countries like Italy can only join the Axis but may join late or early depending on events in the game. Same goes for Axis/Allied minors, and you could expect to see things like Hungary or Romania question joining the Axis if Germany invades it's facist ally Spain for example.

Another idea I had is to allow you to spend some of your MMP's for diplomacy so cause countries to join your side or to switch sides.
This was an idea, but as a design decision I went against it primarily since it's an easy way to cheat, you can just save and reload until you get the desired results. I know the current solution is not perfect, but as stated above, you can get countries to join your side but it primarily depends on how you and your opponent play the game. Leans towards earning these types of results ;) One idea I'm toying with for the future would be to have join percentages for these countries similar to what you now have for Russia, Italy, and the US so this relationship would be more apparent.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to allow players to funnel MMP's from one country to another. Right now some of the "smaller" countries really struggle to generate MMp's while others like Germany, the USA and Russia get plenty on just about every turn. To me if Italy is an Axis power and they're the first to get Industrial Tech. researched you could pump them up with funds from Germany or other minor Axis allies.

Lastly I'd like to see a way for multi-player games with each player running a country. It would make for a long PBEM game but maybe

playing H2H online would fun.

All possibilities in one form or another for down the road ;)

As I said earlier I'm very excieted about this game and I hope to see it up for sale soon.
Great!

Hubert

Another idea I had is to allow you to spend some of your MMP's for diplomacy so cause countries to join your side or to switch sides.

This was an idea, but as a design decision I went against it primarily since it's an easy way to cheat, you can just save and reload until you get the desired results. I know the current solution is not perfect, but as stated above, you can get countries to join your side but it primarily depends on how you and your opponent play the game. Leans towards earning these types of results ;) One idea I'm toying with for the future would be to have join percentages for these countries similar to what you now have for Russia, Italy, and the US so this relationship would be more apparent.

Hubert

The issue of 'cheating aside', isn't something

like Clash of Steel's diplomatic system still

capable of making or breaking the game? In that

game after France bit the dust you would have a

whole bunch of extra diplomatic points to use.

Winning or losing would then hinge on whether

you could 'convince Franco' to join you, while

in reality the factors behind his OTL decision to

remain neutral would presumably be the same no

matter what. How would he keep his country from

starving to death absent American imports?

There was a good thread on the soc.history.what-if

newsgroup about this-someone suggested that there

would still be partisans galore even if Spain

acquiesed willingly to Hitler's demands, and the

logistic situation looked pretty grim from a

German standpoint. But in COS, sometimes Franco

would join you, sometimes not, with no underlying

rationale. I thus think Hubert's decision was

the correct one...

...But I still would like to see some variants

added, if for no other reason than spice. Perhaps

some extra tech here and there, or the Yugos don't

have a pro-allied coup, or the Russians had no

purge hence have better leaders to start with.

Just as long as they aren't too imbalancing of

course. ;)

John DiFool

[ June 24, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: John DiFool ]