Operational movement-one price fits all?

Right now the game charges you BEFORE you move the unit, so moving a HQ 3 spaces (which you might want to do so as to facilitate transport-i.e. Rommel to N. Africa where it would take him 2 turns to move normally to Venice) costs the same as shipping it cross-continent from France to the Russian Front. The cost should be charged AFTER you ship it, in proportion to the distance traveled.

John DiFool

[ May 27, 2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: John DiFool ]

Not neccessarily. Moving a military unit a given distance is no the same as you going for a sunday drive. A drive where the cost involved is calculated simply by how far you travel.

Moving a military formation requires the use of a transportation system, (in this case a train). In the game this represents a unit moving not under its own mobility, but gettng on a train. Any way you slice it, you will have to embark, travel and then disembark the entire unit. The real effort is packing up and resettling. Travel is the easy part. The cost to move a unit in StratComm probably represents this expense.

I agree that ther should be some slightly higher cost for a longer move, but there should be a high base cost, and then a slighly higher cost added on based on distance.

However, if I had to choose between a cost based purely on distance, (as you suggest), and a flat fee, (a is now in the game), I would pick the flat fee as it is closer to reality.