Sort of OT, Capt John H Miller, 2nd Rangers

Just finished watching Saving Private Ryan again, and I (again) wondered about the genuine Capt Miller (whose grave the Older Ryan stood by). Does anyone know about this fellow? Obviously, he survived the landings, but only made it to the 10th.

Anyone?

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

I don't know, but I've got his compass. Well, my grandpa's, which is exactly like it. I was so happy to see it when Miller looks at the maps by the crashed glider. And people say SPR doesn't have an ounce of realism.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I could be wrong, but I distinctly remember reading about the scene in question. It seems that no one is allowed to film actual gravestones at a US War cemetery so they filmed a head stone and digitally altered it. The scary thing for me was I had just come back from Europe when I saw the movie. I remember the exact spot they were at in the graveyard because it is by one of the few clumps of trees actually by the stones but away from the paths. Absolutely a great movie.

Gustav, I have my uncle's Issue Bible. Has a little statement on the opening page from the C-I-C commending the reading of it. At the bottom of the statement it's signed (a copy of course) FDR. The interesting part is the cover, it's made of metal. Guess you keep it over you heart?

Wow. I wonder who's idea the metal covers were, and if all the issue bibles were made like that.

Anyone know the magnetic declination for France? I never thought about it before, but I really should set the compass for there instead of Alaska.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska