CMAK is a Blessing in Disguise for CMBO fans...

The new Afrika Korps Combat Mission ought to be a real treat for those players who are tired of the old CMBO game engine and it's inaccuracies. I have tried hard to give CMBO another look after playing CMBB for so long and I find myself disappointed with CMBO. German tank gun accuracy stinks in CMBO.

I did some testing with elite King Tigers against a field of Shermans with 75mm and 76mm guns at ranges of between 500 and 1000 meters. The elite King Tigers couldn't hit the broadside of a barn while the Shermans were very quickly bouncing shells off of the King Tigers armor. It generally took the King's about five shots before they scored a hit. Elite crew with a very high velocity gun unable to generate a hit? I honestly cannot play this game anymore. I am going to stick with CMBB until CMAK comes out. At least in CMAK you can play in the Italian theatre and set up scenarios that would have happened in France and Germany on the West front with similar terrain etc.

My CMBO days are over. In other threads I made requests that the CMBO game engine be re-written to come up to speed with the superiour CMBB engine. Ultimately, this has been done with the soon to arrive CMAK. God Bless Big Time Software!

They're not calling themselves that anymore I have been told. BTS I mean ;) They're called something else now. Not sure what.

I am also disappointed about there not coming any patch for CMBO. Very much so in fact, and I can't really understand why either. It's just a tweak for accuracy and machinegun effect that is needed. But anyway, CMBO is not just a game, but also a theatre of operation. Sadly, the one that I very much prefer to be in.

There was talk for a long time about a CMII, a complete rewrite of the game to improve it in all sorts of ways. I remember the then BTS bragging quite a lot actually, about how nice it would look and work. It would outdo even the UBI rival based on the IL-2 engine, the pre-screenshots of which were quite stunning. Of course, haven't heard anything about CMII or the UBI rival for some time now.

There was CM2, namely CMBB, as promised. But in my opinion this is an upgrade and expansion pack rather than a game. So I wasn't awaiting it holding my breath. CMAK I suspect will be more of the same.

While I'll certainly buy CMAK, I am still rather waiting for CMII, hoping it will be a return to the NWE44-45 TO.

Now that the problems with accuracy and machinegun fire has been corrected, the issue to deal with in my opinion is the 3D model. It is difficult to recreate a lifelike terrain. In fact with 20 meter minimum tiles, and houses constructed the way they are, you simply cant. Lifelike terrain is the key to infantry combat. So there's where I'd start.

Regards

Dandelion

There was talk for a long time about a CMII, a complete rewrite of the game to improve it in all sorts of ways. I remember the then BTS bragging quite a lot actually, about how nice it would look and work. It would outdo even the UBI rival based on the IL-2 engine, the pre-screenshots of which were quite stunning. Of course, haven't heard anything about CMII or the UBI rival for some time now.
The new engine is being developed concurrently with CMAK. It is now referred to as 'CMX2'. You can do a search for further info, otherwise, in the thread announcing CMAK they talk a little bit about the new engine.

Thanks,

They don't mention much though. I guess not much is known yet.

Looking at the screenshots of CMAK it looks nothing like a rewrite tho. 3D models follows exactly the same patterns. "Italian city" is still a bunch of square boxes, no more possible to turn italian than they were to turn Normand. But then again, these screenshots may not be fair to end-result.

As always, we'll have to wait and see I guess

smile.gif

Regards

Dandelion

After 40 years of wargaming I can't see anyone complaining about CMBO or CMBB when there are "NO" games that even come close to matching them! There will never be a "PERFECT" wargame, but there are 2 games that have gotten closer then any other. Big Time took the CMBO engine and improved it for CMBB so CMAK will just be improved more. Hell, just think about "Close Combat" series that was "top dog" until Eric Young became the game designer of CC4 and CC5! Those 2 games killed the Close Combat series then he gave us "GI Combat"! An unfinished, poorly designed mess! Well, now he is making another game with the same engine from GI Combat!! Now there is something to complain about! You can not take a dog turd,sprinkle sugar on it.....it's still a dog turd! Thanks Big Time and Battlefront for improving on a great game engine! :D

It would seem to me that since the description includes Italy, scenarios could be made that are really France 1944. Perhaps some of the OOB would not be there, but a good portion of the basics would have to be. At least, that would seem to be the case to me. The reverse was true with CM:BO: people designed scenarios for late war Italy and Southern France.

Thanks for pointing this out, Carr.

Plus, since the US 10th Mountain Division went to Italy in Jan 1945, maybe the game will include the elusive Weasel! They received these in the greatest numbers of any formation.

[ April 18, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Maj. Battaglia ]

It would appear the only thing lacking CMAK as opposed to CMBO would be hedgerows, and a plea has been made for them to include them.

But then again, the Culin hedgerow cutters weren't properly modelled in CMBO and won't be modelled at all in CMAK, I am willing to bet, even if hedgerows were included...

Otherwise, I can't see much being in CMAK that wasn't in CMBO from June 44 - May 45 or vice versa

The Dorosh website does look extremely cool.

Meanwhile, I have been advocating on this CMBB thread that CMAK will work very well for the ETO. We might not get bocage, but the CMBO bocage wasn't very well modelled anyway. The bocage problem can be worked around, and otherwise, we've got all of the elements we need for good ETO battles, as far as I can see.

It was generous of BFC to bring the Italian war all the way up to 1945. They could have arbitrarily cut it off at, say, the end of 1943, but instead we get the full range of west front war equipment and pretty much the full range of terrain as well. Woo hoo!

[ April 21, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]