Should players be paid for reviewing scenarios?

Originally posted by Sergei:

Because nothing else seems to work? :confused:

Why should a reviewer be paid and not the scenario designer, and besides, I think a reviewers payment in a sense is the free scenario they have just played?

My point being, is the least anybody could do, having played a third party scenario is review the scenario in appreciation of the designers efforts.

If you didn't like it, say why in a review, as you have lost nothing in the process except the time spent playing the scenario, but everything has price to pay in this world I'm afraid.

Originally posted by Hans:

For Cmx2 we should arrange for a constantly changing password that locks up the game if you don't get the new password by writing a review once a week.

YES! :cool:

However, what about if someone doesn't play for a week? Then, at least if you're an honest guy, it will be difficult to write a review based on your play... those playing more could sell their reviews on eBay for money...

No. If you pay for reviews the reviews become tainted and in turn future scenarios become tainted.

If it's a good scenario you will hear very little or nothing in response. If it sux you will get plenty of reviews.

But, I guess it can be flustrating when you want to get some constructive feed back and never hear anything.

I do reviews after I've played through the scenario a few times. I shift the force balance to the AI (I usually play only 1-player scenarios until I get my ass thoroughly beat. I experiment with alternate tactics and approaches...well, all kinds of stuff.

That takes me a fair bit of time. I like to become rather -uh- intimate with my review subject before I pass judgement.

However, I can be bribed with beer and get the review done sooner.

Actually I did have an idea as part of the upcoming Cmx2 why not have an automatic feature that would come up after the battle summary that would whisk the player to the scenario Depot for a review? Or better yet a button that would take the player thru a "quick" review.

Yeah! Maybe in the AAR screen there would be a text box where you could type some stuff and the game would save it into My Documents or somewhere (default name something like "ScenarioAAR.txt"), and then you could just open that and copy&paste into SD.

Yeah! Maybe in the AAR screen there would be a text box where you could type some stuff and the game would save it into My Documents or somewhere (default name something like "ScenarioAAR.txt"), and then you could just open that and copy&paste into SD.

Hmmmm, actually I can see an auto link to the SD being a doable add on. Will mention to the Admiral.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

Hmmmm, actually I can see an auto link to the SD being a doable add on. Will mention to the Admiral. </font>

Hi GJK

Thanks, I understand the territorial issues I believe the Admiral has good communications with BFC and could probably raise the issue with more success than my lowly self. Such a link shouldn't be overly difficult as long as the player has the internet on. Heck they might even put a button on the review interface that says, "recommend the scenario be returned to the Proving Grounds for further testing".

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bergerbitz:

However, I can be bribed with beer and get the review done sooner.

Doesn't that also alter the difficulty level, though? One beer = +1 experience bonus for AI... </font>

Hi GJK

Thanks, I understand the territorial issues I believe the Admiral has good communications with BFC and could probably raise the issue with more success than my lowly self. Such a link shouldn't be overly difficult as long as the player has the internet on. Heck they might even put a button on the review interface that says, "recommend the scenario be returned to the Proving Grounds for further testing".

LOL! You got me sold!

The scenario designers should get some dough, with a royalty going to CM/BFC. What kind of business model could do that?

Like play-testers, those who play beta versions should get some payola, if they create serious product (review), it would be an agrement between designer and tester.

The rest of us schmucks who carry the battle forward, at the sacrafice of work, family, health and sanity are greatly rewarded with a fix for our addiction. A little sur charge might slow down the destruction of our personal lives.

Maybe you guys out there with lots of unreviewed scenarios should start pulling off-line heaps of them.

Take away the ones with good reviews (leave the review there) and take away lots of unreviewed ones.

If people want

a) access to one with a good review,

B) more scenarios to play

they have to play & review an unreviewed one.

I think a big part of the "problem" is that the proportion of people who will review is pretty low AND the number of scenarios is very high. This gives a low-looking review density. Compared to , say, when the demo came out and there were what looked like heaps of reviews... I doubt if the review rate dropped, its just there's heaps more scenarios to review now. I review every scenario I play... but often its already-reviewed-ones, because natrually if they have a high rating, they are the most attractive!

GaJ.

Actually this adds weight to the call to require people to log in to Scenario Depot to get scenarios.

COG did it at CMMODS, and it doesn't seem to have made the world come to an end.

If SD required log-in, then it could also control which scenarios you have access to based on what reviews you've written!

Sounds draconian, but hey, if it works...

GaJ

Perhaps the site can institute a "reward system" for reviews. Provide X number of quality AARs (reviewed by said site) on our user friendly online form that captures all relevant information, and get access to our top-reviewed scenarios. You could give basic access for registering, get automated secure access after 10 or so reviews, and premium access after 5 reviews read by the site operators or their designate editors. (to encourage useful feedback, not just filler)

In other words, players will push quality work into a secure area where players who are conscientious of feedback are allowed to get the cream of the crop. If you want to play the best, help the community figure out what "best" is to you.

As GreenAsJade mentioned: it's an incentive to get the underdogs and new stuff reviewed.

It's not "pay" per se, but it helps further the community, and it would encourage me to get on the keyboard and help a designer out. As it is, I really look to "the list" when choosing new scenarios, especially balanced PBEM ones.

Originally posted by Spotless:

Perhaps the site can institute a "reward system" for reviews. Provide X number of quality AARs (reviewed by said site) on our user friendly online form that captures all relevant information, and get access to our top-reviewed scenarios. You could give basic access for registering, get automated secure access after 10 or so reviews, and premium access after 5 reviews read by the site operators or their designate editors. (to encourage useful feedback, not just filler)

In other words, players will push quality work into a secure area where players who are conscientious of feedback are allowed to get the cream of the crop. If you want to play the best, help the community figure out what "best" is to you.

As GreenAsJade mentioned: it's an incentive to get the underdogs and new stuff reviewed.

It's not "pay" per se, but it helps further the community, and it would encourage me to get on the keyboard and help a designer out. As it is, I really look to "the list" when choosing new scenarios, especially balanced PBEM ones.

Sounds good, but the author's of those top-rated scenarios won't be happy if those scenarios are suddenly limited in access/availability.

And won't it be sad if people start going "underground" to swap scenarios....

L33THaxor [kazaa user]: Hey, you got that 'Panthers head west' scenario?

NuB33 [kazaa user]: Yeah, on the way...

No reviewers should not be paid.

In the ROW competition we were not getting everyone write an AAR (aka Review) and I think we will have lifted this number somewhat by doing the following.

1. No Advancement to finals unless you have submitted AAR's. This means the good / great players will hopefully share some of their success with those who are less successful.

2. Introduce a prize for the best AAR. This is a Years subscription to "After The Battle" a magazine which talks about actions / battles then and now.

What this means is that for those scenarios in the tourney we will have a great reviewer base.

The tourney apporach for designers might be one they could consider? There always seems to be a good take up and if a group of designers got together running it would be fairly easy.

Failing that you have to learn the art of self publicity and if you are a good designer then your scenarios will get reviewed. This area of the BBS is great for posting notices asking for testers and reviewers.

H