Would you pay to play?

You'd need a very good idea and lots of work to offer something special. Plus you've got to protect that idea.

Cause If anybody has a great concept to make money in a (potential/hypothetical whatsoever) aftermarket, I guess some others would copy the idea and offer it for free. There are lots of people spending lots of times on CM add-ons.

For everything that 1 person can do full-time, there would be some others doing it in a team as a pure hobby. As there are quite many willing to spend some time on good ideas, you'd soon face free competition if you can't protect your idea.

So you gotta convince BFC not only to allow for an aftermarket but restrict that aftermarket so nobody is allowed to offer freeware in a certain part of that market.

Nice dream. There are battles lost before you even begin. And this one is definitely not worth fighting.

If you believe it works nevertheless:

Hic Rhodos, hic salta - or in your words: don't pussy out, try it.

Gruß

Joachim

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Sergei:

Instead, BFC have the right even without needing your permission, so I have understood, to sell your scenarios for big money on a "Germanboy Special Edition" CD. I think their business model, therefore, is closer to war communism. :D

I am not sure if they have that right. I am sure though that if they have it, they have never exercised it. I also do not believe for a second that they ever would exercise it, at least not as long as the current crew runs BFC.

Quite apart from the fact that anyone paying money for such a Germanboy SE CD would need to have their head examined for various, fairly obvious reasons.

I guess you're correct there, now I remember that the authors of scenarios on the CMBB SE were asked for permission, I just mixed that up with that they were not told what it was for until the SE was released.

Speaking of misinformation, there are rumours that you have surrendered in our PBEM operation after witnessing the strength of my men's devotion to their genius commander. Are these news true, as I haven't received a turn for a week?

I think Novastar became Matrix Games (at least I think some of the faces are the same).

Novastar worked for a while, but there was an unforseen flaw in their business model--the internet. They solved one of the big pre-net problems--distributing after market scenarios and such. Before the ubequietous internet, one had to dial into bulletin board systems, at 9600 baud if one was lucky, often long distance, to download software. Note that they disappeared in 98 or 99 once most people knew what the net was and could gain access if needed. Funny how another internet centric company we all know and love appeared then .

So, now, with the net, rather than hundreds of people paying $10 a month for a floppy subscription, you have a few people paying various fixed costs for webhosting and making scenarios avaliable to all.

And what Green as Jade says.

WWB

Man, do I have to drag you guys along every square inch of this concept.

So now you get that we could sell scenarios if BFC gave permission. And if you could make scenarios cool enough people will pay for them. NOW, lets address the, "But BFC wont do it issue." You simply have to come up with an argument compelling enough to convince them. And don't tell me that you already tried, that proves nothing. Flying was tried many times before it was accomplished.

It is the "can do attitude" that will get you there. I have simply met too many people who have succeeded where success seemed impossible to believe otherwise.

None of the points you believe you had to drag someone along to was in contention.

So, why don't you try it yourself? I don't think you will have a chance, but just have a go. I believe that as long as there is a free supply of good scenarios, it will be difficult to convince BFC that there is a need to change their policy. It has worked quite well, after all.

Oh, I thought you guys were saying it couldn't be done.

I wont do it because it's not my mission. But when someone does try, I will be a supporter, not a nay sayer.

Every thing works fine, until someone comes along and offers something better, just ask IBM.

Originally posted by willbell:

Oh, I thought you guys were saying it couldn't be done.

I wont do it because it's not my mission. But when someone does try, I will be a supporter, not a nay sayer.

Every thing works fine, until someone comes along and offers something better, just ask IBM.

I couldn't agree more, and let's not forget that people played/play hex style games, which are fine if you like that sought of thing, but then along came the BFC factor - nuff said!

Originally posted by willbell:

It is the "can do attitude" that will get you there. I have simply met too many people who have succeeded where success seemed impossible to believe otherwise.

Actually, its the "will not do" attitude that will kill the idea. Far to many top scenario designers are NOT willing to turn something they enjoy into a job. So, if your competition is free, how much do you think you can sell?