Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Breakout Scenario Concept (Hidden Victory Conditions)

One of the great things about CMBB in my opinion is the use of Dynamic Flags to either fool the defender, or provide a scenario with a different feel to it if the flag is chosen automatically. Maybe in the future there'll be a more flexible option here (Static + Dynamic flags in the same scenario, multiple 'real' dynamic flags, etc) but for now it's a nice start. In history, both sides didn't always know what the other's "victory conditions" were.

That's why my first 'historical' scenario isn't a simple meeting engagement, or attack/defense scenario, but rather one where one side has a different set of victory conditions than the other. If you plan to play it 'as created', ie, as the Germans against the AI, feel free to keep reading. If you want to be surprised in a face to face playing of the scenario, don't read the part between the 'SPOILER' tags, and look for an upload to the Scenario Depot by me (and I'll announce it in another post here) within a week. If you want to playtest a version of this,

check after the Spoiler section.

------------------------------------------------

SPOILER

The scenario is designed to play as the Germans against the AI and occurs during Operation Bagration when a small village held by a German Platoon finds itself suddenly behind enemy lines after a fierce firefight. The Russians appear to have screened the village as no supplies have been able to make their way in, and the Germans are very low on ammo, exhausted at the start of the game, and 'unfit' (to represent their state of mind).

The German player's main objective is simply to break this group out with a relief force, and exit them off the west map. Secondary orders include holding on to as much ground as possible due to the fact that OKH didn't believe this was a real offensive and would soon stall. The biggest problem is that a 'safe zone' must be cleared due to open terrain around the village that the cut off soldiers must run through before reaching sparse trees that they can utilize for cover.

Using nonstandard victory flag placement designed both to give the Russians a reasonable goal and also to 'assist' their strategic AI, I believe I've created a reasonably interesting tactical situation for the Germans to solve.

END SPOILERS

-------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I have no idea how the scenario will play out face to face as I've tried to make it a challenge to play against the AI, so if anyone wants to try a PBEM playtest of this, drop me a line and I'll send along the scenario. If you want to try it out as intended (German versus AI Russian) feel free to ask for a copy also.

Sounds very interesting!

If you want, we'd be happy to host your scenario files at The Proving Grounds for the testing process. There's now 1200 members, many of which are very active participants in scenario beta testing. Joining the site and then filing out a scenario data sheet and uploading the file will automatically create a discussion area for the scenario (a message board) where playtesters will post AAR's and their notes and hopefully discuss with you their feelings on the playability of the scenarios. You'll also have full knowledge of who's downloaded your scenario with the ability to email them if needed via your author's administration area. This way you wont have to email your scenario multiple times, perhaps losing track of who you've sent it to.

Hope to see you there, link to the site is in my sig line below.