CMMOS thoughts for possible improvements

To the makers of CMMOS:

First I would like to use this opportunity to thank you for a great program. I think it works really well to do what it was supposed to do, manage complex mods with many options.

I would like to suggest the implementation of some kind of .zip support in the next version (if you ever make one). That way you could easily install complete packs of mods that the user easily can modify by adding and deleting .bmps to the archives. It would also save disk space.

Example: I have a set of terrain tiles that I think is the best combination to represent an overcast autumn day. These include tree bases, water, hedges, walls, grass, brush etc. Now to play such a scenario I just need to unzip the contents into the Bmp folder. It would be great if CMMOS could implement .zip support to combine different archives and to get a good overview over the contents in some way or another. The way it is now I would need to unzip all these files into the Bmp folder and give them a suffix. This would mean that I would have all the .bmps of the entire game installed about 8 times over in that folder. I would rapidly run out of disk space and the folder itself becomes almost unmanageble.

I dont know if this is a good Idea, but I thought I'd share my thoughts. I don't mean to put down CMMOS because i really think it works great for what it was meant to do. I'm just saying that incorporating .zip support would save a lot of people some disk space and also make their mods more manageble in terms of copying and moving files.

Thanks for a great program.

Bernhard

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bebbetufs:

To the makers of CMMOS:

First I would like to use this opportunity to thank you for a great program. I think it works really well to do what it was supposed to do, manage complex mods with many options.

<hr></blockquote>

You're welcome. smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

I would like to suggest the implementation of some kind of .zip support in the next version (if you ever make one). That way you could easily install complete packs of mods that the user easily can modify by adding and deleting .bmps to the archives. It would also save disk space.

<hr></blockquote>

Well, I have been thinking of trying to solve the disk-space problem, and using zip-archives is one possibility, but there are some fundamental issues involved that I have yet to find a satisfactory solution for. As an example, there is not a one-to-one mapping between "mods" (the graphics) and "Rules" (the CMMOS method for implementing options). So, it becomes problematic to apply the "British 11th Armoured Division Rule" across an arbitrary collection of zip files. That's why CMMOS keys off the files themselves. I'm not saying that there's no way to do something like this, just that I haven't figured out a satisfactory way (yet).

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

Example: I have a set of terrain tiles that I think is the best combination to represent an overcast autumn day. These include tree bases, water, hedges, walls, grass, brush etc. Now to play such a scenario I just need to unzip the contents into the Bmp folder. It would be great if CMMOS could implement .zip support to combine different archives and to get a good overview over the contents in some way or another. The way it is now I would need to unzip all these files into the Bmp folder and give them a suffix. This would mean that I would have all the .bmps of the entire game installed about 8 times over in that folder. I would rapidly run out of disk space and the folder itself becomes almost unmanageble.

<hr></blockquote>

But on the other hand, this sort of situation is what "CM Mod Manager" does best. The only "catch" is knowing exactly which BMP files you want to capture for each particular "set".

Again, I'm looking into solving these issues, but they're not quite as "cut-and-dried" as one might think.

Thanks for the suggestions, constructive criticism is always welcome.

Gordon