Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Clubfoot or MikeT....question about DFDR

What did you guys use for the sand? Did you use the original BTS snow files? I was playing around with them this evening and came up with a pretty good sand look.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

Maximus,

The sand is simply a conversion of open ground. Most coastal and near inland areas had packed sand, gravel, or rock underfoot so the decision was made to have open ground remain open ground. If a scenario designer wishes softer earth to mire vehicles or impede movement, damp or wet ground conditions can be used. Or the handy wadi tiles which replace marsh could be employed.

Clubfoot.

Originally what I was going to do WAS to have summer as Tunisia with Winter (snow) be Libya. However the mod manager opened up so many possibilities that ALL my plans for terrain changed. I had to rethink concepts and redo the readme file, major sections actually. Now remember using the editor you can set any terrain's softness from dry to mud. This seems to work well as far as the softness of sand. So if a vehicle will bog in CMBO it can bog in CMDFDR.

MikeT

Yes, I understand the deal about using different ground conditions for different bogging probabilities, but what I was really asking is what set of .bmps did you modify for the sand look. What I was saying is that I was repainting and applying filters to the original BTS snow tiles and came up with a pretty good sand color. I then renamed them to the grass tiles (1550-1569)

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 02-21-2001).]

I modified the standard summer time tiles, I want to say 1550-15XX but I am probably wrong in my memory. The concept of Scenario Special Mods (SSMs), means that you would dup into your BMP subdirectory whatever bmps are needed to game that scenario. I set all desert battles to June 1944, modified that skyline but got a better one unsolicated which will be available for download at our website when it is up.

I just reread your message again, your approach is the same one I used. I simply created a desert tile and named it 1550 and so on. Now keep in mind that the tiles are al essentially the same except that they get lighter. You need to gradually the contract or brightness, forgot which. This makes hills and such show up much better.

Basically we are not allowing for mixing sandy terrain with the hardpack terrain I came up with. I had wanted a way of doing this but unless you use marsh there isn't one.

If you can think of some better ideas please contact me at desertcmt@home.com

Mike