Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

mobile sappers for Soviets in CMBB?

vireo

I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but I hope the Soviet player in CMBB has the option of using mobile engineers to sow mines and lay other obstacles to stop advancing german armor, as they did at Kursk and I'm sure elsewhere. Anyone know if this is a possibility?

Don't think they did that in the scope of a CMBO battle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From Glantz 'Soviet Defensive Tactics at Kursk':

Viciaus fighting raged as the Germans threw in fresh

forces, first toward Ponyri and then Ol'khovatka, in desperate attempts to slice through the dense mass of infantry supported by a profusion of self-propelled artillery, antitank guns, tanks, and sapper units incessantly sowing new minefields.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and later:

Both first-echelon divisions created antitank reserves from the division antitank battalions and designated sapper platoons equipped with mines as mobile obstacle detachments that they positioned near likely tank avenues of approach.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and later:

Flame throwers and exploding minefields, laid overnight by sappers, accounted for twenty-two disabled German tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Emphasis by me.

Does not sound like they ran in front of the tanks and put the mines there. I just did a quick search of the document that Adam provided. If someone has got indications that they actually did it in CMBO type battles, I'd be interested to hear that.