Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

British Field Artillery Undermodelled?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JasonC:

... and after my last post just silence? Surely someone has some comment... Sorry for the self "bump", but I did go to a bit of trouble on the previous post...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to take so long getting abck to you Jason, but I've been busy doing life-stuff.

My post - the one you took exception to ("it was on credit, and I don't think the terms were that great either") was semi-serious, but teh bit about terms was meant as a joke - hence the "*...risk must have looked bloody awful too"

LL and the Marshall Plan are, IMHO, two of the things the USA has to be proudest of last century. An incredible, and unprecedented, degree of generosity of material and spirit.

Thank you.

Jon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

LL and the Marshall Plan are, IMHO, two of the things the USA has to be proudest of last century. An incredible, and unprecedented, degree of generosity of material and spirit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed - very good post Jason, BTW.

AFAIK, Marshall Plan money is still being used today in Germany for low-cost loans by the Kreditanstalt fuer Wiederaufbau (KfW) to start-up businesses and for domestic renewable energy.

What, a half dozen people and posts all discussing the nature of lend lease and its aftermath, and after my last post just silence? Surely someone has some comment. The picture is a bit different than people were saying before, isn't it? Has anyone's understanding of the subject changed?

I waded through the first two pages; aside from Simon's blathering there were some good points raised - but the sad fact is that artillery was not timed, but restricted to a definite number of rounds per gun. Blackburn shows this nicely - "five rounds gunfire - FIRE!" Rather than having to guess how many rounds might land in a 60 second interval and decided whether or not to call off your strike - immediately - or let it go on for another minute.

On the topic of Ruskie debts. I remember seeing Gorbachev interviewed on Newsnight. 5 minutes after slagging off Britain for re-bombing Iraq. "Maybe Britain wants to be Great again". He say's "Go on,let us off our debts". The front of the guy, amazing. Tell you what you starve your people for half a century trying to keep up with the yanks and we'll pay for it ! :eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> This thread has drifted way off its original premise and seems to have outlived its usefulness. Maybe time to lock it up? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there's much left to discuss, but it'd be nice to know that "powers that be" have taken note of the issues raised...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

I don't think there's much left to discuss, but it'd be nice to know that "powers that be" have taken note of the issues raised...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since it won't be an issue pre- CM II, I doubt it really. If I were BTS I would not open any thread dealing with US/Commonwealth equipment at the moment, unless there was the potential of it impacting lend-lease stuff.