Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is SSI back?

Yesterday while breezing through the Barnes & Noble looking for good post-holiday bargains, I stopped at the magazine rack to flip through their (rather meager) selection of PC magazines. The copy of CGW that they had out of its wrapper had a brief article on SSI, and it seemed to say that Mattel dumped the entire Learning Co. block on another company for NO COST (the deal was "an unspecified percentage of any future revenue" or somesuch) and that SSI has gone back to being its own boss.

There were a number of quotes from people in SSI and TLC regarding Mattel's total unpreparedness for publishing real PC games. One bigwig at TLC recalled telephoning the CEO of Mattel about some upcoming project and whether it should be held for QA or released ASAP, and the woman neglected to give any answer at all. The TLC guy said "I can live with bad decisions, but when a person makes NO decision that's unacceptable."

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 01-08-2001).]

Guest MantaRay

What is wrong with Mattel? If they stop making Barbies, Manieri will have nothing to play with after his B O O T from this board smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Have fun with Barbie Mission Capt!

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Actually, SSI still exists. Some of the guys may have left the company, but the parent company hasn't gone away. As an example, Silent Hunter II is still on track for release, and under the SSI label. As are Pool of Radiance II and a new flight simulator using the Flanker 2.0 engine (don't quote me on that last one).

------------------

Vor der Kaserne, vor dem grossen Tor, stand eine Laterne und steht sie nach davor.

So wollen wir uns wiedersehn, bei der Laterne woll'n wir stehn,

wie einst Lili-Marleen,

wie einst Lili-Marleen.