Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is there new campaign system in CM2?

I would like to give some suggestions for new campaign system, becouse there isn't real campaigns in CM. In war campaign is used for gaining areas of land and samekind of approach could be also used in CM2. I know that operations is small scale version of this land conquering, but I hope that in CM2 it would be totally full scale. And battles could be played also, either by computer AI or by player/players so you don't have to participate in every battle for yourself.

Well, the main reason why campaigns weren't included in CM to begin with was because no single unit really traverses the entire war. Most units only particpated in only one or two campaigns.

But then again if you are talking about a campaign that would cover the entire "battle" such as Market Garden or the Ardennes Offensive or the Operation Overlord itself. Then yeah, maybe this could be implemented.

But I believe the reason why the largest map in a CM Operation has been what? 5kx3k? Correct me if i'm wrong. (Not at home to check map scale) Is because the average computers out there right now could not handle maps larger than that. In fact, with CM2, I understand the combat ranges are going to be much larger, so large maps are going to be very common, so who knows? Maybe CM2 could incorporate full campaigns as such. But remember even Market Garden took place over a 30 or so mile long road.

CM2 large maps are one reason why I recently upgraded to my new Athlon 1.2GHz system. I wasn't about to try it on my old Celeron 433. ;)

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

I don't mean bigger maps, I mean bigger campaigns, so for example you could have campaign where germans are attacking stalingrad or moscow. Bigger country 1000 km x 1000 km map would show where this battle took place, and smaller battle would be actual playing map for this battle. And you could move your armies in bigger map and battle in smaller map. And you could control resources such as factories and logistics for your armies. That is what I mean with bigger full scale campaigns.

It wouldn't really take a whole new engine, just an added component.

Maximus, he doesn't mean larger "operations", but separate battles, in different locales by a single unit.

Think of your Panzer division rolling across the steppes of Russia. I have a distinct feeling (and actually know from various first-hand accounts I've read) that individual units fought in a great number of them. Campaign games would not be a-historical.

My idea, to add even more realism to the experience, would be to have the player (us) in charge of a larger group, such as a regiment, or even division, and as the division set up for each battle, the player would decide which units to send into combat, which to hold in reserve, etc.

In this way, you maintain the realism of not having "one squad fighting in every battle in Russia" while you still have the glory and fun of a successful campaign.

Not only that, but it would add a whole new dimension to the game: troop management.

I think, given time, it would be possible to integrate a system like this into the currrent game engine.

The subject "Campaigns" has surfaced many times. BTS's statement is that campaigns in the way Steel Panthers or Close Combat handled them were unrealistic and thus at the end of the list of things to implement into CM2. However there are a lot of guys like me that would love to see some sort of campaigns in upcoming parts of the Combat Mission series. If we can not have them in CM2 I hope they will be included in CM II. smile.gif