Senario Designers Tip

Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

The main problem here is that some designers do their work and don't have it properly tested. Many times they don't even play them...they just stick them out there.

So you become the tester instead of the player. That is too bad.

Hi Wild Bill,

We have almost 400 members now all ready to test any scenario that you or others may have ready for testing. Granted, not all are there for the scenario testing, most for the opponent finding, but many of us are actively playtesting and reviewing 70 scenarios on the site now. Stop by and see us: The Proving Grounds.

By the way, love the work you and the other Raiders have done over the years, it's been very much appreciated!

If you can Stouffel, find someone who can proof read for you. I have a couple of guys who do that for me.

Usually when I don't, I make mistakes too. I do the same thing for some gaming brethren from Italy, Germany, and Finland.

If I can ever be of service to you, I'd be delighted to help you.

CKG! Sounds great. I will pay you a visit tonight.

Thanks so much for the offer. Without a doubt I'm going to take you up on it.

And I appreciate as always the kind words of encouragement. They mean a lot...WB

At various times I have thought about offering a review of a scenario, but I never have because I haven't been able to figure out what constitutes "good" or "bad" in a scenario. I can tell you how easy it was (or wasn't). If one side gets slaughtered, that probably isn't fun (blowing the crap out of a town with high caliber HE is fun for me, but that's a personal bias :D ), but when people talk about reviewing a scenario, they talk about "fun", not "hard / even / easy". And that is only against the AI. Against another person I would need to play numerous games against the same person in order to get an idea of our relative skill. I haven't played numerous games against humans, never mind against a single person.

So how DOES one rate a scenario?

In descending order of importance, YMMVW:

1a) Was it fun?

1b) Was it reasonably realistic fun?

2) Was the map well done?

3) Were the briefings helpful, well edited, fitting to the situation.

4) Was it reasonably playable for you and your opponent (if PBEM/TCP)? Note, this does not mean balanced.

5) Was it fun?

That is how I approach reviews, anyway. I never rate replayability, since it is a pointless criterion in my view. I never replay a scenario, and I never design any of mine to be replayed. The reason for this is that on replay, the FOW is gone, gone, gone.