Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Targeting question

It has been argued (convincingly, IMO) that there are many weaknesses in the artillery portion of the game. None of these appear to be game breakers, though for the sake of the comfort level of serious players, it is hoped that this is one area that will be given attention in the much-heralded engine rewrite.

Michael

Well, if you think about this in terms of the timeframe of the game, it makes sense.

Each turn is 60 seconds, right? So what you want to do is to start a barrage at say, a crossroads, stop it for say 2 minutes, or even 60 seconds, then resume the barrage at the same location?

All of this on the fly, given the tactical chaos of a meeting engagement or on an attack.

I doubt this could be done even with modern communications and superior command and control in a modern day battlefield with such pinpoint accuracy. I think the way it is done now, by "walking the target" a bit, is probably the most realistic. You can radio a "shift fire a bit" command quickly, but to have all barrages start/stop/resume on the head of a pin on the fly without having that plan set up from the start is a bit UN-realistic.

That's all IMHO. If there is historical / modern evidence refuse this, I'd be curious.

picture this:

1) Fire is falling nicely on your crossroads.

2) FO orders "Checkfire!"

3) fire stops falling on the crossroads, guns remain laid on said crossroads.

4) After a 60 second pause the FO orders "Cancel checkfire!"

5) Rounds start falling on said crossroads once more.

And it really is that easy to do ;)

Regards

Jon

Note: for the sake of clarity, deliberately left out of the above scenario is the time of flight.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]