Happy 226th!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bullethead:

All Jarheads, wherever ye may be, Greetings on this the 226th Birthday of our Beloved Corps!

Hope you all had as much fun celebrating as I did. I literally burned down a house :D <hr></blockquote>

Never lost a foundation, eh?

Moriarty said:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Never lost a foundation, eh?<hr></blockquote>

Around here, most houses are pier and beam so we say we've never lost a GOOD set of cement steps. We sometimes lose those made with stale cement, however :D

This house, however, was donated to us by a land-owner who wanted it gone. So we used it for training, setting a number of fires in it and practicing interior attack and SAR all morning. Then we lit the whole thing off and let it burn while we ate lunch, making sure the fire didn't spread into the surrounding hay field.

I can only imagine what passers-by on the highway thought. Here's this house with fire out every window and through the roof, there's several fire engines in the yard, but all the firemen are sitting off to the side eating lunch, watching it burn, and throwing their empties into the blaze.

Moriarty said:

I can only imagine what passers-by on the highway thought. Here's this house with fire out every window and through the roof, there's several fire engines in the yard, but all the firemen are sitting off to the side eating lunch, watching it burn, and throwing their empties into the blaze.<hr></blockquote>

They probably thought you worked for the Dept. of Transportation on yet another coffee break :D

Semper Fi and Happy 226th from Quantico.

Hope you all had as much fun celebrating as I did. I literally burned down a house :D <hr></blockquote>

I guess you had to destroy the house in order to save it.

As an aside, I recently learned that the original, Vietnam-era version of that quote may have been entirely made up. It came from Peter Arnett, who attributed it to an un-named Marine Lieutenant. Yet Arnett has never revealed the name, nor has anyone ever identified himself as Arnett's source. One more piece of NLF propaganda from the respected "journalist".

Better late than never! Semper Fi, brothers!

I drank a six-pack and watched "Sands of Iwo Jima" and a documentary entitled "Iwo Jima: Red Blood and Black Sands" or something very near unto that title. Last night out at dinner with the bride, I had to saddle up to a stranger with a devildog tatoo and wish him a belated BD.

Thanks for being there buddies. God bless the United States Marine Corps. -Zamo