Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hey wavmeisters....

What I would like to see is a wav with a whistle blowing, to replace the "let's go" type .wavs.

The Germans and the British both had very distinctive sounding whistles - the British "bobby" type whistle was much softer. Anyone have the ability to do either one?

Feeling masochistic, I set up a WW I type scenario with trenches and wire. I can see where the CM game engine could be very easily adapted to WW I tactical battles - though interest in that would definitely be low. Too bad, since by 1917, both sides were actually making a bit of tactical headway - ie using small parties of attacking troops, etc. Would be neat to see duplicated - a Brit/Canadian platoon of divided into squads of bombers, bayonetmen, Lewis gunners, etc.

But I knew as soon as the men went over the top that the element that was missing was whistles! They were still used in WW II (heck, I've seen officers today using them, even) by platoon commanders to signal tactical moves.

One other element that would be neat, but not influentical on game play, would be coloured signal flares. Once my 5.5s opened up on the German lines, I realized that the SOS flares were missing, too. Again, they were used in World War Two quite commonly, even at the platoon level, to signal objectives reached, call for defensive fire, etc. That too is out of the scope of the game and is simply factored into the game play.

Oh, if anybody thinks recording the whistle from the Super Bowl game will do it - you're close! The shrill whistle sounds close to what a German signal whistle sounded like (probably an American one, too), but I have a list somewhere of German Army whistle signals. It wasn't simply random blasts - there were certain calls you could do with the whistle, almost like a bugle call, for different situations. The refs, on the other hand, just blow them to make noise.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Oh, if anybody thinks recording the whistle from the Super Bowl game will do it - you're close! The shrill whistle sounds close to what a German signal whistle sounded like (probably an American one, too)

But wasn't it a solid whistle? The American sports/schoolyard whistle has a pea in a little chamber to make it warble a bit. The classic Brit and german signal whistle is a clean note, right?

I'm sure that the note the whistle is supposed to tone in is in a field manal somewhere. Someone with a good midi patch could trick up a wave in a few minutes.

Oh god, I'm being grog like... Next I'll be getting pissed at SPR because of the Korean war vintage sitghts on the M1's... Argh!

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 01-28-2001).]

Michael writes:

"Feeling masochistic, I set up a WW I type scenario with trenches and wire. I can see where the CM game engine could be very easily adapted to WW I tactical battles - though interest in that would definitely be low. Too bad, since by 1917, both sides were actually making a bit of tactical headway - ie using small parties of attacking troops, etc. Would be neat to see duplicated - a Brit/Canadian platoon of divided into squads of bombers, bayonetmen, Lewis gunners, etc."

I'd be interested in seeing a WW1 game based on the CM engine if it can be done. Unfortunately WW1 games are not high on peoples lists. The trench warfare wasn't exciting enough. People seem to enjoy forces and tactics that move. Hence game companies are not going to take the time to make a game based on WW1 unless its a sub sim or Red Baron type of game.

Anyone remember the boardgame "Guns of August"? I still have my copy.

~Skott~

Guest Napoleon1944

I did a bagpipe mod and can easily do one with the whistles. Would a boatswains mates whistle work? I have one. Go to CMHQ for the bagpipes.

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Found an MP3 of one but I don't know how to convert it to a wav file. Is it just a matter of renaming or does the format have to be changed. For that matter, can MP3's be converted to a format that a CD player could read and play? New (read totally ignorant)at sound files!

------------------

No one EXPECTS the Spanish inquisition!!

Send the MP3 to me, I have Deck which does great conversions. With the proper software, an MP3 van be turned into a CD format audio file and burned to a CD using one of the better burner products. Toast is considered the best CD creation software for home users, but others work.

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 01-28-2001).]