Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Seamless Movie Player?

Hi all,

I have used CMMOVIE to review my battles. Although it is nice to be able to just view the movie files that way, the fact that it still has to stop and load each one is a bummer.

Is it technologically feasible (perhaps in CM2, even better in a patch/mod for CM) to combine all the movie files at the end of the battle and be able to run the action footage seamlessly?

Add to that the ability to print 5-color military maps with contour lines during the setup phase and I'll be quiet and just play this game forever!

Great idea.

I think that if BTS divert *some* of their energies toward a better interface (in CM2) with regard to PBEM/movie management, it will do the trick nicely. But then, they have so many talented programmers lurking here in the Forum that it will not much of energy/attention wasted if they ask those in the know for ideas/programming advise with this matter.

Kind regards

Charl Theron

How about this for a reason to add full-length movies to CM2?

Release the CM2 demo with one or two scenarios, then release a whole bunch of cool 3D CM2 recorded battles that show off other features of CM2 -- you can't play 'em, but you can watch them, roam the battlefield, etc...

Obviously I was sold on just the two CM1 demo scenarios, but it took me about eight weeks to burn out on the two demo scenarios (VOT, over and over). I would bet that if I could have watched a couple of larger, more complex battles (and considering my skills, probably better-fought battles) that two month demo-to-purchase delay would have been significantly smaller.

(Yes I know there is a texture download issue, I'm thinking out loud here...)

Great point about using the full length movie as a selling tool!

Also, I'm sure there would be CM movie makers out there. I mean, heck, there already are! But imagine the possibilities that open up to them! Allow us to dub sound over them too... yeah, yeah...

I can imagine a CM produced movie winning an Oscar someday...

Seriously though, this would be a great addition to CM2 or a patch to Cm1. :)

:cool:

As it occurred to anyone that playing all the turns of a CM battle will only accentuate and make obvious the weaknesses of the "command" delay mechanism, as well as the mechanism that plays out all shells etc. at the end of each turn rather than leaving shells in mid air for players to respond to during their orders phase?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

As it occurred to anyone that playing all the turns of a CM battle will only accentuate and make obvious the weaknesses of the "command" delay mechanism, as well as the mechanism that plays out all shells etc. at the end of each turn rather than leaving shells in mid air for players to respond to during their orders phase?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry, but I have completely missed the point of your post, although it seems it may be a good one. What are you trying to say? :confused:

Um... about the command delay... "So?"

That is part of the game... I think enough action will be occurring at each point that you won't notice it. Besides, little "breathing pauses," Or "listening halts" by individual units as they move won't necessarily look unrealistic. The shelling will be vollied.. you won't know where the end and start of a turn is, anyway.

This is just a cool way to enjoy/review your movie - make combat footage, etc. I think most people would live with those little considerations mentioned above.

(Going back to my foxhole)

Read the HTML files. I found it was easiest to sort your PBEM files (you knew it would only work for PBEM right?):

sort for whatever turns you recieved (ie.. all even)

Then sort that list by size and keep all the large (movie) files. You'll get the pattern after a bit. Put those into their own folder. Viola!