Question on Ops. Running out of map

My question is specific to the operation "Gambler's Fallacy", but pertains to other Ops as well.

How do I know when I've run out of map (I'm the Soviets on defense), and it's time to issue the "Stand Fast" order ?

Should an Op. have a label for a certain geographical point on the map that is designated in the briefing as a "signpost" or "warning light" as far as the defense running out of map ?

Apologies in advance if this has been explained elsewhere.

Ken

Being the designer, it was my mistake not to be clearer about this. The river line in "Gamblers Fallacy" is your last line of defense. If the Germans breach the river strongly it's lights out for the Soviets.

Someone suggested that advance ops should have some landmarks to give both players a sense of how far they've come and how far they need to go. It's an excellent suggestion that I'll incorporate in my next advance op.

Originally posted by xerxes:

Being the designer, it was my mistake not to be clearer about this. The river line in "Gamblers Fallacy" is your last line of defense. If the Germans breach the river strongly it's lights out for the Soviets.

Thanks for the response xerxes.

Now about the force mix. Where's my platoon of "crack" KV-1 ?? :D

Ken

I playtested a huge operation (Fridericus, 5km*3km or so) once, and the first thing I did myself was to add 500 yard lines as landmarks on the map edge. Any desinger can do this, any player can do this. A look at the map in the editor (without a look at the preview) is not gamey

...not that I really needed them during battles - with battles at 40+ turns, lots of forces and a broad map, I could usually have some exploiting force reach the map end. But for planning my advance, they were invaluable.

Reminds me that I should finally play the final version... :rolleyes:

Let's see... where can I find some time...

Gruß

Joachim