Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

German language terms

One thing that always looks funny, and to a stickler like me a bit, well 'shoddy', is when German gets mangled in scenarios. I know this is not entirely fair, but before English native speakers jump up and down, they should think for a moment what they would expect of a scenario in which the 49. Vest Siding Infantee Division rides to the front with the support of a batallion of Schermann tangs, were they to read this goobledygook in the briefing.

A favourite is of course the old Liebstandarte AH (I can assure you, they were anything but Lieb).

In CMBO there was a scenario called 'Zurüdzschlasen', or something, and while I can have a guess on what it is meant to say, I can assure you it has little to do with German, apart from the Umlaut. This post is brought on by this scenario called Swartzekätze, which is again a word that has nothing to do with German, apart from the Umlaut.

Anyway, since there are a good number of native German speakers on this board, and there is even a German speaker's forum on it, why not avoid embarassing mishtakes by just posting and asking when one is not sure? I would always be happy to help.

Or maybe I am just particularly anal.

[ June 24, 2003, 05:15 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Very valid point. That is why I think it is helpful to review the briefings in a scenario as well as the scenario itself. While some don't read them, well written briefings can really set the mood for a good scenario.

Designers don't seem to mind criticism about their battles I don't see why they would mind about their spelling.

(Side note: don't be too hard on those who butcher another language. If you want a good laugh just look at any phrase book.)

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

(Side note: don't be too hard on those who butcher another language. If you want a good laugh just look at any phrase book.)

Hehe - spoken language is different. Just ask John or Kip about my English...

As for Warpy, well better not ask him anything about the German language. He does nice pressing the shutter button on his camera though.

Originally posted by Andreas:

... maybe I am just particularly anal.

No doubt about that, but you have a good point anyway.

Actually, it extends to English speakers mangling the English language. Remember, the dictionary is your friend, and the spellchecker is not a tool of the Devil.