Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Blast per point

I found an old thread comparing the blast values for 81mm mortars versus 75mm artillery. The took the balst value times the number of shots and divided by the cost. Has anyone done a full comparison of artillery this way. It would be a useful tool in deciding whether larger artillery is always worth the price.

Thanks

I absolutely agree that many factors go into deciding what type of artillery to purchase. Smaller caliber atry has a higher rate of fire. My personal favorite is 105mm because you get a good number of shots, fairly quick response time, and high blast value.

My question is really trying to decide when is it useful to buy the bigger stuff and when is it just a bigger bang?

I would say yes depending on the situation. This is definatly a matter of personal preference and not a question of calculation (though when the calcs are done, IIRC, larger calibers have a higher blast*round factor)

Personally I think that only 105mm and 81mm are needed in the country side. On an urban map, or one with a large town the other stuff starts to be useful. I generally wouldn't by anything larger than 5.5 inch under any circumstances. If I were fighting a large battle in a city with little armor suport I might want 2x105mm, 1x155mm, 1xreally heavy. In the country side I might take 3x81mm 1x105mm. But again, this is also just personal feeling. I don't play many QBs anyway smile.gif

I have a very useful file containing US/Brit/German arty stats (Blast, Cost, ROF, etc) for all sizes. I obtained it off of the old board sometime last fall and I wish I could give the author the credit, but I have completely forgotten who it is.

Enoch--I don't have any way to post it to the web but if you'd like it, email me (address in the profile) and I'll send it back to you.

engy

Edit:

Ack, forgot 2 things:

1. Yes, the file also does all those mathematical opearations on the arty statistics (point/cost, blast*point/cost).

2. It's an Excel spreadsheet, so you'll either need Excel, an Excel viewer, or tell me to covert it to a text table.

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: engy ]

Sorry to drag this one up from the depths, but as soon as I offered to send out the file, our router crashed and I've been without a connection the last 3 days. So, if anybody emailed me about the file and hasn't received it yet, please email me again.

engy