Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBB and Extreme FOW

I use FFOW, as I'm sure most everyone does unelss they are playtesting. Since I don't know how the new FOW will work in CM2, I can't say how I will use it. Many forum members have stated that they want as much FOW as possible, so hopefully the new options will appease them. I'm sure BTS will design something that is as realistic as possible given the limitations of the game engine.

Nope, it means "Frogs of War" which is a reference to the use of combat ski frogs by the Finnish Army. Extreme frog of war means that these uberHylidae are properly modelled, including the stealthy Rana Sneakum or Sneaking uberfrog, the machine gun wielding death commandeo frog Rana soumius, and the heavily armored bufo stugus that is actually not a frog at all, but a toad.

Very deadly creatures, and hopefully BTS will have done its homework on these dangerous and skilled adversaries of the red army.

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]

Thanks Slappy, I needed a good laugh. I thought maybe he was asking about the famous and fearsome French Ostritch Warriors. The French decided to stun the Germans by attacking with street mimes armed with spears, riding on the backs of trained War Ostritches, which France has plenty......

Sorry, Ill stop now. Sorry Treeburst, got carried away.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogface21:

Thanks Slappy, I needed a good laugh. I thought maybe he was asking about the famous and fearsome French Ostritch Warriors. The French decided to stun the Germans by attacking with street mimes armed with spears, riding on the backs of trained War Ostritches, which France has plenty......

Sorry, Ill stop now. Sorry Treeburst, got carried away.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My pleasure, I will however have to order the book, "Large Flightless Birds of the Western Front" to supplement the hamster and frog texts I have had to purchase already.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogface21:

ummmm... Im sorry, whats FOW?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I always thought FOW stood for Fear Of Waltzing. I mean, wasn't that what the whole war was about. Extreme FOW primarily affecting young american males, who everyone know, can't waltz. The Germans thought it their destiny to teach the whole world how to Waltz, and we fought it all the way back to Berlin.

At least that's what I've read.. and I own at least 80% of all books ever written on World War II.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by karch:

Personally I always thought FOW stood for Fear Of Waltzing. I mean, wasn't that what the whole war was about. Extreme FOW primarily affecting young american males, who everyone know, can't waltz. The Germans thought it their destiny to teach the whole world how to Waltz, and we fought it all the way back to Berlin.

At least that's what I've read.. and I own at least 80% of all books ever written on World War II.

Scott<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Karch, when you get closer to me in how many books you have read, I will begin to pay attention to what you have posted. I bet you have never read "Frogs over the Fatherland", or "Frog Commandos of the Australian Commonwealth", or "Allied Frogmen", or any of Winston Churchill's series of books, "Frogs at War". And you probably think the cubs are going to wild card there way into the World Series, which they ain't, it would require a change in the basic laws of physics.

By the way, I found a quote that made me think of you:

"I just bought a Mac to help me design the next Cray."

- Seymoure Cray (1925-1996) when was informed that Apple Inc. had recently bought a Cray supercomputer to help them design the next Mac.

Actually I'm of the opinion that there could be a place for a FOW on terrian.

In real combat you don't get to see terrian before you get there.

It could be an advantage for the defender they mat see the layout of all terrian but the attacker would not be able to see the layout of terrian in areas that no unit has ever had los to.

Frog blast the vent core!

(Marathon II reference)

Slappy, up until now I thought the reason "General Mud" was so important to the Russians was that it bogged the German tanks. Now I realize that it increased the mobility of FOWs, which the Germans had no counter for.

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Well Karch, when you get closer to me in how many books you have read, I will begin to pay attention to what you have posted. I bet you have never read "Frogs over the Fatherland", or "Frog Commandos of the Australian Commonwealth", or "Allied Frogmen", or any of Winston Churchill's series of books, "Frogs at War".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot those other books from your vast collection, Slappy - Jane's All the World Frogs, Boy's Own Frog Adventures, Across the Andes by Frog and of course, we shouldn't forget, American tales of Superior "can-do" Frogs.

Ok, getting back to the REAL question:

In CM when you have FFOW on you cannot see an enemy unit until one of yours has seen it (duh). Also, when one of your units sees an enemy unit, all other of your units are considered to have seen it. This is where extreme FOW comes in I believe.

Extreme FOW will mean that just becuase one of your units spots an enemy doesn't mean all the others see it. For example, if your T34 spots a German machine gun on one side of the map, it does not necessarily mean that your infantry, who are on the other side of the map, will be aware of it also.

I think this is how extreme FOW works. I recall reading this in a CM2 interview, but it might not even be the case anymore depending on what gets in the final version.

I will consider myself thanked ;) .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Ok, getting back to the REAL question:

In CM when you have FFOW on you cannot see an enemy unit until one of yours has seen it (duh). Also, when one of your units sees an enemy unit, all other of your units are considered to have seen it. This is where extreme FOW comes in I believe.

Extreme FOW will mean that just becuase one of your units spots an enemy doesn't mean all the others see it. For example, if your T34 spots a German machine gun on one side of the map, it does not necessarily mean that your infantry, who are on the other side of the map, will be aware of it also.

I think this is how extreme FOW works. I recall reading this in a CM2 interview, but it might not even be the case anymore depending on what gets in the final version.

I will consider myself thanked ;) .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that is not really extreme fog of war, but it should be BTS who explains it all. What you describe is virtual spotting or realistic spotting (as opposed to borg spotting).