Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

COMBAT MISSIONS: Boot Camp - Article #3 - "Heavy Hitters!"

The third in the "Combat Mission Boot Camp" series sees Gremlin tackling CMBO AFV's. It's his best article to date IMHO and is a must read for any rookie CMBO tank driver!.

PS - Anyone like to comment on the articles that Gremlin has written so far?.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - Resources For Combat Mission

Originally posted by JoePrivate:

Really an excellent series of introductory articles by Gremlin. A newcomer would get up to speed fast reading them, I just hope the old-timers don't give all the 'tricks' away. biggrin.gif I also like the new look of your site, great job.

arrhhh yes!...what every CM Vet. dreads - being beaten by a newbie. smile.gif Hate to say it but, Gremlin is "evening the odds!" frown.gif

------------------

You're really beefing up the site, Manx. Great work! Your doing what I want, which means you get more Lawyer visits and no extra billing. LOL!

Cheers,

Jake

------------------

Only the Lawyer knows what Evil lurks in the minds of men....

Originally posted by Lawyer:

You're really beefing up the site, Manx. Great work! Your doing what I want, which means you get more Lawyer visits and no extra billing. LOL!

Cheers,

Jake

A Lawyer not billing???....NEVER! biggrin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 01-26-2001).]

Just wanted to take the opportunity to say how much I do appreciate your site, including Gremlin's essays. The site also looks great, somebody there does a nice job with design. I'm interested in printing out some of your pages on my ink jet - I don't always like to read at the computer. I'm also wondering about building a 3 ring binder sort of thing from the vehicle desc. and usage pages. Your pages don't break easily at 8 1/2 x 11, any thoughts about putting a page break in there (I don't really know anything about web design, but I assuming you can control where my printer 'sees' a page??) If I get something decent looking I'll send you a photo. Your pages are definitely worth having around - like during a battle when I can't always get to them. Anyway - many thanks - it's helping me learn and enjoy CM even more!

rlh1138 - Glag you like the site and that you are finding Gremlin's "Boot Camp" series useful. One of the things we discussed before the articles were written, was that they should be aimed primarily at less experienced players. I think Gremlin puts the info contained in those articles across very well.

About printing stuff off from the site...i will look into providing a "Print Friendly" Word '.DOC and maybe Acrobat '.PDF files for anyone wanting them. With doc files you can also edit the text, alter page-breaks and margins etc.

------------------

Glad you guys like the articles. I've been writing them because I know I would have loved stuff like that when I started playing, and I view CM as much as an entertaining learning experience as a game.

Any particular topics you guys want to see covered?

Big thanks go to Manx for posting the series!

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

Any particular topics you guys want to see covered?

A good topic would be AT guns. If you write it don't resort to; "Anti tank guns are often more effective when they have a limited LOS"(!)

I'm sure you can do a good write up tho!

------------------

Rugged Defense England Team Website:

http://combatmission.portland.co.uk

For all our AARs

------------------

"I drive over farmyard animals in my farmyard tractor, then I laugh afterwards."--CavScout [comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical]

That AT thread made me think of something I'd to see in your writeups Gremlin - and that is a 'what to expect' aspect. For example, let's say I set up my AT guns according to some tactics I've learned, and after two or three shots, and maybe killing a tank, a gun gets killed. The veteran player may have expected that, knowing that an AT gun will survive for about that long at best (I'm just making up this example, probably not factual), but I get all upset, thinking I'll never get the hang of this, etc. etc. So if you could, when appropriate, also add stuff like, '.. and if you do this right you can expect to lose 50% of your armour during the attack.' Or whatever. Hope this is clear what I'm driving at - thanks again.

I see exactly what you mean and will try to do that more in any future articles. I honestly don't know, btw, if I'll be doing one on AT guns any really soon, though, as I need to experiment more with them. In the meantime, you can find an article on AT gun tactics here, in the Tactics section.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.