A question about unit textures and 'skins' in CMBB

In the "Soviet Naval Infantry in CMBB" thread, "V" asked a question about helmet textures in CMBB, and whether we will be able to have more then one for winter and summer.

I would like to expand on this question, and ask about textures on everything, not just helmets.

We of course know that some textures in CM are 'shared', for lack of a better word, on a single unit several times. This creates problems for modders, because while the texture will look good on one side of a unit (whether it be a tank, a helmet, or other), it will be shown backwards on the other side sharing the texture.

So my question is, will this be 'fixed' in CMBB? We already have other graphical improvements like Doodads, right? Why not put an end to this texture sharing thing?

Why not...easy answer...VRAM.

This is the reason we couldnt do this in CMBO, and the same reason we cant in CMBB, and thus is something that cant be 'fixed' until we are all using 64 and 128mb video cards. Our recommended card for CMBB is going to be a 32mb card, as most people still do not have 64mb cards, and we are already pushing the 32mb mark with current textures levels.

With VRAM everything is a trade off. We could have allowed for different textures to be used on each side of a vehicle for instance, but the trade off would have been no doodads. Considering the visual enhancement these add to the game, I know which Id rather see. smile.gif

Dan

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]</p>

Commissar, dont worry, this is something we will be looking into in much detail when we do the rewite. We will then have other options open to us that should allow us to do much more in the way of vehicle textures. smile.gif

With CMBB we need to think of those out there still running on the 8mb and 16mb cards whilst still adding enough extra detail that 32mb cards will offer a visual treat. Id love to be able to have 2 sided vehicle textures myself, thats for sure, but the average hardware level isnt quite there for us to be able to do this just yet.

Dan