Depicting Rowhouses

i have found a way to depict rowhouses and thus the ability of infantry to move between them without having to go back out onto the street: use a 'factory-end tile,' the same tile repeating side by side. once you have a 'row' of them, 'cap' it off by the opposite factory-end tile; or perhaps better yet, a heavy 2nd level building with its own doorway (dot) side facing into the row of factory tiles.

the benefit is that you get a bunch of 2-story tiles with walls between them; walls that can be 'breached' (normal movement between the tiles is possible).

the cost is that, if you look 'inside' one tile you can see windows and such - fixtures which would only 'realistically' be on the 'outside' of a building - on the 'inside.'

I live in a row house. In DC, not the soviet union, but I have lived in them in europe as well. There is no way in hell to move through this building into the neighbors house without explosives. CM actually simulates this to some extent. If anything, they need to have thinner buidings with impassible walls.

WWB

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

...a heavy 2nd level building with its own doorway (dot) side facing into the row of factory tiles.

Can you confirm that the dot facing matters in your setup? I've never noticed that it had any effect on movement between adjacent large building tiles - my experience has been that troops can always move through a "double" wall if one side is a factory tile, but they could never move through if both sides are large building tiles.

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

agreed that the tiles would need to be narrower... i actually thought about what you brought up about the inner walls... so what i really should have suggested was that this is a way to simulate rowhouses and breaching the walls with explosives...

...so your map is only usable by engineers? Very few units had the kind of explosives on hand to breach walls like that

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by manchildstein II:

agreed that the tiles would need to be narrower... i actually thought about what you brought up about the inner walls... so what i really should have suggested was that this is a way to simulate rowhouses and breaching the walls with explosives...

...so your map is only usable by engineers? Very few units had the kind of explosives on hand to breach walls like that </font>