Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM-3d graphics: a question

I'm really no expert on 3D graphics, so excuse this stupid questions.

In princip, all 3d graphics are based on a grid, covered with a texture file.

If I take for example a gun, I can look though the frontplate window and can see the rest of the gun. Same for vehicels. If I open the texture file of the gun, I see that the frontplate window is filled with a pink color. Okay, thats known from gif picture, one color is transparent.

Now I make a 'hole' in a buildings texture file with the same pink color. If I now start the game, I have a hole in the building wall, but if I look through it, I can only see the landscape thats 'behind' the wall, not the rest of the building

Why? And why isn't the same technique used like for vehicels/guns? Wouldn't it be a way to make ruins?

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Use my uncensored Forum for all discussions that getting to hot for here.

Visit Scipiobase

Guest KwazyDog

Hi Scorpio,

In theory you have it right wink.gif The problem you are seeing though is due to the fact that CM doesn't render both sides of buildings with a texture, just the outer texture. Thus, when seen from behind, the wall is basically invisible. I would have to ask Charles as to why it works this was, but I am guessing that it would probably increase frame rate.

This will change in CM2 though. I am not yet sure of the details but I do know that more detailed building representation and damage are pretty high on our list of new features smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hehe, not a bad idea Chupacabra, I wouldnt mind driving an Elefant through a 'sim' town myself wink.gif

Dan

An official statement by Kwazy Dog: BTS & Maxis will publish Sim Combat Mission soon!!! wink.gif.

Scipio

P.S. Thanx for the answer...to bad that we havn't it in CM1 already. But maybe CM1 scenarios will be compatible with the revised/new CM2 engine. I love hunt Shermans wink.gif

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Use my uncensored Forum for all discussions that getting to hot for here.

Visit Scipiobase