OT: What the life like to be a Tanker?

Guest machineman

Interesting read. Quite the account of what it is like to be in a tank hit by a IS-2's 122 mm shell.

On the lighter side, I found a historical reference to 'hampster' in there, as in:

perhaps the Lieutenant had taken a liking to me and thought that I should be given the chance to get away (I had already been wounded four times by then), or maybe, since I was raised near Munich, I could be useful as a "hamster" (one who collects food from local farmers to supplement food rations - a derogatory term)

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Blazing Chariots by Bob Crisp - Brit tank commander (Stuart Honeys) in the desert

That was my first thought too. Excellent book. Crisp also wrote a book about his earlier experiences in Greece called, IIRC The Gods Were Indifferent. Or something like that. Not quite up to the standards of the other book, but worth a read nevertheless if you can find it. I've only ever seen one copy and that was a paperback in the public library of Los Altos, California, about 25 years ago.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I never got motion sickness, but my gunner did. It must be the gunners position, the only one without a hatch...This poor guy got sick every time out...I remember thinking he was the "Odd" one until I had conversations like this and realized just how common it is, getting sick down there...