"A morning commute" (SP) reinforcement oddity ****SPOLIERS****

This post is replete with spoliers so anyone who hasn't played this scenario should stop reading now.

***********SPOLIERS***************

I downloaded the pack last night and decided I would try something small before going off to bed. This seemed to fit the bill nicely although I was doubtful that it would recreate the atmosphere of the likes of "Red Barricades" from ASL. Well I was wrong since immediately upon getting down to eye level on this small but interesting map I was immersed! Interesting forces for the Russians and cunning plan was formulated. It went off real well and as an aside to whiners elsewhere I had a platoon advance (squad by squad) across a street into rubble on the other side under fire. They all made it and I suffered one casualty. My LMGs started suppressing Germans bold enough to pop their heads up. My SMG armed lads made short work of the Germans in the rubble. In short, except for losing my tank in an overly ambitious movement things were going swimmingly.

About half-way through the reinforcements show up, not sure that they are needed but happy to have them. Problem is that they appear all over the place but mostly in the road between me and the factory! There was one squad that "appeared" adjacent to a suppressed German squad. Stealth technology? I must say it is very silly and my immersion was shattered. I have the game saved at this point should anyone (designer) want to see it.

John

This is a bug. Probably with Andreas v1.00 (haven't updated much in 34 years), but I am just trying to recreate it. They are supposed to come in on the road where the Jeep is at the beginning. I thought I had corrected this, but it appears not.

Very sorry about it, I hope it did not totally ruin it for you.

No worries Andreas, these things will happen. As I noted in my short report I had enjoyed it immensely up to this point. In fact, having just finished the scenario I don't think the reinforcements are needed at all, at least not against the AI.

I will post a review at the depot since I think this is the ideal battle for Newbies to CMBB to begin with. It breaks them in more gently than say, "Cemetary Hill" ;)

Will you be fixing the reinforcement bug and reposting the scenario?

Thanks for all your efforts as ever,

John

Yes, I had the same exact experience- Scotty transported my reinforcements right into the middle of the battle. That shocked the heck out of *everyone*, I can tell you. Doesnt' bother me overly- I just pretended that they arrived in a snafu manner, coming up the wrong alley, or something...

I agree that it was a bit of a pushover, though I'm not sure I would not want *any* reinforcements. Otoh, I didn't lose a tank, (snigger), or really anything else, for that matter.

But for a better example on the subject of unneeded, I just played "Eye of the Storm". Not only do I consider those reinforcements unnecessary, I was utterly convinced of that *when they arrived*, somewhere in the middle- I had to chuckle out loud! So to keep it even approximately a fair fight I drove them all right off the map pronto!!

Neither was I wrong- Total Victory 90/10. But that's a different story, and there's a bit more to it anyhow.

[ PS or is it "Scottie" ? ]

[ PPS I don't want to leave the wrong impression with Commute- it's a good scenario, particularly in that I find many city scenarios to have "problems" wherein they aggravate some of the limitations in CM. Those problems are not present here, so yeah, it would be worth fixing that reinf thing for everyone else... consider beefing the defense by... 15% (???). *Close* to a very good scenario, imho ]

Eden

[ November 21, 2002, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Eden Smallwood ]

Spiffy. I just played that one tonight, and was wondering why my reinforcements materialized where they did...

The scenario might be a bit on the easy side, as it gave me a Total Victory the first time through, leaving the Germans with the default deployment rather than computer-pick. In my case, my probe through the middle stalled when the German MGs out-dueled my light ones, and on the right Efr. Tarasov's 76.2mm didn't do me any favors when he somehow eliminated my other gun (might have clipped a nearby building?), but I used a nasty left hook to clear out the Victory Factory. The Axis surrender gave me a 84-16 victory despite some misjudgements such as using short cover arcs on the SMG troops in the center -- letting them burn ammo on suppressing the HMG and friends might have been a better choice. *shrug*

Well, the reinforcements popped up RIGHT where I needed them. That is, right at the point, temporally and positionally, where my advance was about to stall. In light of Germanboy's comments, completely fortuitous I suppose.

Yeah, it was kind of on the easy side, but still very enjoyable. That is, the outcome was in doubt in my mind until the last couple or so turns. Nice job.

• 3 months later...