Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Why so Slow??

Hi. Just built a K6-2 550 on a Gigabyte Super 7 board, with a 32 meg ATI Xtreme 2000 and 160 meg pc100 RAM and an older (ata33) Seagate Hard drive. No bugs or glitches I've noticed yet BUT. It is slow. The game seems to be running at normal speed, but the graphics refresh rate is very slow. I mean just a couple of frames per second. Playable, but just barely. If this were a flight sim it would be too slow to even look at. Have the latest video drivers and DX 7.0. Are there any problems in this hardware anyone can see that would likely cause such noticable slowing? I watch the HD to see if the slowness is due to drive reads, but it stays slow regardless of how much disk activity I get. And the game itself is running at normal speed, just the refresh rate is way down. Again, no bugs or glitches that would iindicate the video card is misbehaving, just a really slow frame rate.

The Demo runs fast on my P2 400 with a some kinda 16m Riva card and runs kinda jerky but playable on a 233MMX with 80 meg of RAM and a 16m Voodoo 3 2000. I have not loaded the game on these other two systems, only the demo, but I figure if the demo runs ok on these, the game should run run fine on a 550 with 32 megs video memory and 160 megs of RAM.

Guest MantaRay

Hi Tom, I must tell you that a P2-400 is most likely faster than an AMD K6-2 (believe it or not). But if it is a video problem, try updating to the newest video drivers at www.nvidia.com and see if that helps. Also ATI card qwners have had problems running CM, so that may be it.

Also, maybe it is just the scenario you are trying to run that is slowing it down a tad. Try a smaller one and see if that works, or lower the screen resolution of your desktop and turn off all of the extra graphics features in the game and turn them on one at a time to see if they are causing the problem.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

Hardcore Gamers Daily

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Callmeyer:

Hi. Just built a K6-2 550 on a Gigabyte Super 7 board.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

As has already been pointed out, your K6 is actually slower in throughput than your PII-400, due to the CPU's architecture. I don't think the difference should be so dramatic, though, and certainly the K-6 should be outperforming your P233MMX, all other things being equal.

Have you tried running any benchmarks, even another program besides CM (gasp! rank heresy, I know...). I'd be curious to see if the pokey video output shows up elsewhere. I think something is amiss in your video setup, and the usual suspect is the video driver. Have you tried the reference driver from the manufacturer of the particular video chipset featured on your Xtreme 2000 (sorry, I tend not to track those details unless I'm in the market for an upgrade). Besides the driver, motherboard bios settings like AGP aperture, video bios shadowing, etc. can affect performance. I'd check your ATI manual.

Have you deleted your prefs file & restarted CM ? It sounds as if you were running in a software-rendered mode.

Do you have "cache" disabled in your CMOS/BIOS setup ? With this off your system would definitely run slow (everything).

When you say the "game is running at normal speed" but the "refresh rate is down" what do you mean ? Is running the game giving commands and scrolling around the battlefield ? Is the "refresh rate" the frame rate during playback of your turn ?

Forgive me for abusing this thread for my own personal question but;

I have a Viper V770 Ultra TNT II video card from Diamond. I wonder what I'll have to do to get FSAA on this card. Assuming that is possible of course smile.gif.

Should I wait for Diamond to come with a new driver set or should I directly grab the Nvidia drivers ?

Grtz S Bakker

------------------

Visit my CM site!

The bunker: http://bunker.panzershark.com

Another proud member of the Panzershark webring. :)

This might sound like I'm insulting your intelligence (which I'm not) but I've heard about people doing this before. Make sure you didn't get a super offer which didn't include L2 cache on the mainboard and have another look in your BIOS. If it's a new motherboard you should read through some forums and the mainboard homepage for probable driver updates, the bottleneck could be somewhere there. I got a P2-450 w/128mb and a Geforce and it works great so you shouldn't really have a problem with your system. Always check the FAQ for your mainboard sometimes it pays off.