Opinons on Scenario Balance

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

I have no idea what you self deleted from the post above, but knowing how close you came to being banned for previous comments I am sure it wasn't pretty. If you are just stalling because have no sources to cite because you are moving, might I just suggest that you stop trying to argue until you do?

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I deleted bold type that Simon found as an abuse of the UBB code.

Stalling? Is there some time constraint or deadline that has to be met? I can perhaps answer "when its ready". C'mon Steve you are sounding a bit stressed there. Take a chill.

Lewis

Guest Big Time Software

No, frustrated is more like it. I feel like I am talking to a politician, something I have had to do a bit of as of late. The issues seem pretty clear and irrefutable. All the facts support each other and add up to one thing -> the StuG was deliberately changed from Infantry Support (its original role) to tank plinker.

Steve

Guest Captain Foobar

What.. Nothing new on this thread? Man, I was enjoying this one even more than Nahverteidigungswaffenss. biggrin.gif

Come on guys, we want to hear the EXCITING CONCLUSION!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Foobar:

Come on guys, we want to hear the EXCITING CONCLUSION!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We should all be expert "waiters" by now. Wait till you see how long my response is going to be.

Lewis

Guest Big Time Software

Better block out some time away from the manual formatting, eh? smile.gif Seriously, someone else is probably going to have to respond. I spent a bit too much time during the initial discussion, so I am likely going to have to bow out for about 2 months wink.gif

Steve

Guest Captain Foobar

Well, I dont care if Steve isnt watching, I want to hear the rebuttal to the long, point-by-point post by BTS.

( I am not trying to stir up arguments, as this is actually a pretty interesting topic. IF it is responded to in a non-confrontational, "just the facts" kinda way)

Some of us have NO idea if it was designed as Anti-Infantry, Anti-tank, Anti-Establishment, or whatever. So its cool to hear the heart of the debate, without having to read 10 books on the topic myself biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Bungis

I think there is a somewhat steady truce between me and Steve on this. He is busy making a manual and I am busy moving and selling my crap. I have already shipped my extensive war library and my local public library is for the birds. I am biding my time..skirmishing on other threads.. but still ready to spring my stug surprise shortly..

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bastables:

So having no new information you're being bellicose for the sake of it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have alot of old information. I want to quote it with titles, authors. Its packed away 'stables and I should be reunited with it within 2 weeks.

Funny how anyone would be bellicose on a webpage called battlefront.

Lewis

Well there is certainly interest (and amazingly still hard feelings) but I will have to wait two months and respect Steves wishes. I also believe in "when its ready".

I was actually expecting alot more of the CM gang here to jump my sh*t (I am obviously playing the "bad-guy" here..duh) but now I feel perhaps there really is interest in how a thouroughly obnoxious brat can perhaps win in an debate against a BTS "expert".

Really I think the point I am making is small and perhaps not worth any effort. I just despise the simplistic viewpoint people have of "weapons". Especially armor. They will see a fighter plane and squeal "OH a good pilot could do so much better than an ordinary one". Well armor was the same and even had its subtle differences beneath that.

I am contending artillery trained crews manning the same weapons (stugIII) used by panzer and panzergndr crews should have different "effects". They were better when working with infantry and more effective in the direct fire mission. I never said that they werent used as AT primarily or secondarily on occasion. Believe it or not, human beings make all the difference in the performance of all weapons. CM is at the scale where these effects should show themselves. It just adds flavor and depth to an already great game.

Lewis

Lewis

‘Really I think the point I am making is small and perhaps not worth any effort. I just despise the simplistic viewpoint people have of "weapons". Especially armor. They will see a fighter plane and squeal "OH a good pilot could do so much better than an ordinary one". Well armor was the same and even had its subtle differences beneath that’(Lewis).

So an Ace fighter pilot upon mounting say a Ju88 will be just as effective as he was in his Fw190 A-4. Artillery men trained in the arts of firing low velocity IG’s or long range fire with Gun’s and howitzers will find that there( eek.giffrigging spell cheakure supposed to be their) former skill are worthless. People are constrained by their equipment, a sniper will not be able to run around plinking people in-between the eyes with an MP40 at 500m. As I’ve stated before the mounting of a high velocity gun decreases HE performance. So why give the Sturmgeschütz-Brigaden and the Sturm-Artillerie-Brigaden a weapon which trades off HE performance in favour of anti-armour performance. Quite as its kept the artillerymen were being trained as Panzer killers.

You mention airbursts as an idiosyncratic penchant of the gunners; if I may I will quote JonS words upon the subject. Since he is an actual artilleryman he can give it the treatment it deserves. ‘With artillery, the rounds fly in a parabola, and approach the target at

something around 45°. The momentum of the round is along this parabola, and

the parabola terminates at the target (or thereabouts). When the round

detonates in the air the momentum of the round carries the fragments forward

in an expanding circle, which impact at great speed and effect around what

would have been the point of impact if it had been fused with a regular,

point-detonating, fuse.

Now, with relatively flat trajectory direct fire weapons - which would

include ALL the StuGs and StuHs, to get an airburst above the target would

mean that the point of aim would have to be lifted above the target, so the

momentum would carry the mass of fragments over and beyond the target,

giving little effect on the intended target. Another way of thinking about

this is to imagine the round doesn't hit a tree above the target - not that

likely anyway IMHO. The round would happily sail on past the target to

explode several hundred metres away when its low angle parabola brought it

back to earth. The same applies to the fragments, although the overshoot

distance would not be as great.'

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 04-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 04-15-2000).]

Username,

Having a little trouble following the debate I have a suggestion.

It might clarify things if you would give a suggestion as to how this difference that you are trying to show should be implemented in the game.

I’m not saying that you should to come up with anything revolutionary, just a hint on how you see it.

While, of course, considering the game wide implication of such a bonus in relation to the balance of the current game system, other weapons systems and the general demand for the ever elusive "realism".

Could, at least, further my understanding of your point of view.

Cheers smile.gif

M.

Username

quote:

I was actually expecting alot more of the CM gang here to jump my sh*t (I am obviously playing the "bad-guy" here..duh) but now I feel perhaps there really is interest in how a thouroughly obnoxious brat can perhaps win in an debate against a BTS "expert".

Username it appears very evident to me that this is your intention in alot of posts you make,yet I am at a loss as to why?

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge in the area of WW2, yet you usurp it's credibility by the demeanor of it's

presentation. I personally feel, that you would have people far more interested in what you had to say, if you didn't appear to be trying so hard to piss them off smile.gif

Again here you challenge Steves credibility by putting the word expert, subtly in quotation marks

THe more you do stuff like that, the only damage you do is to yourself IMHO smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattias:

It might clarify things if you would give a suggestion as to how this difference that you are trying to show should be implemented in the game.

M.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

M

If I knew how things worked perhaps I could! Seriously, you ask a valid question. I think I gave my opinions above, it would be up to BTS to decide. I dont know if having armor gives infantry a morale boost, if being without AT weapons brings it down, etc. The workings of the mechanics of the game are a mystery to me.

Thanks for adding an intelligent post to this discussion.

Lewis

PS I did post in the other thread a "revolutionary" suggestion regarding menu options.