Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

TOT: Did Zbv 800 exist?

Warning: Total Off-topic ahead!

I remember I read about an WW2 German unit known as Z.b.v. 800 which was active in the EF. I recently get the book "The German Order of Battle : Infantry in World War II" but cannot find the unit in the book, whereas some other Z.b.v units are covered.

Can anyone shed some lights on this one?

Thanks in advanced.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Michael emrys

Sounds like the German Brandenberg commando unit. At its peak, I think it consisted of perhaps as many as four battalion-sized units. Each one consisted of hand-picked men that were fluent in the language of a country the Germans were about to invade. Often they infiltrated the country in disguise to disrupt the defenses. I think they were under command of the Abwehr.

Michael

Well I can't help you with that particularly unit designation z.b.v.800, but I can clarify the meaning of Z.b.v.:

This abbreviations stands for "Zur besonderen Verwendung" which means "for special purpose".

So it must be some kind of special or commando-like unit.

Marcus

------------------

Kompanie STILLGESTANDEN,

Rechts UM,

Im Gleichschritt MARSCH !

there is a book out on them

02018.jpg

amazon.de carries it, and you can direct-order it from the publisher (click on image)

[oh I forgot- it's of course in german, and it's 49.95 DM which currently translates to 20 or so USD.]

------------------

"Say i think u all need to chill out." (GAZ_NZ)

[This message has been edited by M Hofbauer (edited 09-27-2000).]