Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Questions on reality format

I'm just wondering why they don't show more casulties when a squad is hit. They only show one man when the squad is eleminated.

I think in showing these casualties such as in the CC series would enhance the realism, and even showing more men per squad besides three representing 10 or 12 would be a plus.

This is probably going to be locked up quickly (it could lead back into the discussion of "dead bodies yes/no") so I'll answer quickly.

The reason is that the graphics load would be too high for the computers owned by the majority of CM's target audience to handle. Each of those figures is an extra group of polygons etc and each requires time to draw and fill.

I dunno how long you've been around, but BTS didn't decide to have dead bodies until a few months before CM shipped; prior to that there was a 9 month, on/off/on, bile-laden go'round about dead bodies. Some of the forum posters threatened to make dead bodies out of other forum posters, etc etc.

DjB

Let me chime in here also real quick.

Dead bodies were put in just shortly before the Gold Demo was released back in May. There were heated arguements on the basis that the objective of the game was to not glorify war or "blood & gore". However, before the dead bodies were put in, the squad just disappeared and one was left wondering what happened to their poor little squad.

As to laying a dead body down as to everytime a squad would take a casualty wasn't done because it would badly clutter the field.

Also as Doug said, since everything in CM is rendered in 3D polygons, having each and every soldier displayed would be a huge hit in polygon counts. The fact of the matter is that most people OVER-ESTIMATE what today's hardware can do.

Many people compare CM's graphics with graphic engines like Quake III and Unreal Tourney and then wonder why CM's graphics aren't as detailed and clear. Well ask yourself this question...How many polygons are actually rendered at one time in those games? Not very many.

As an example, I run a Celeron 433 w/128MB RAM, and a 32MB TNT2 Ultra card. I can run FPS games just fine. But when I fire up CM and a large map with lots of units, my system screams, "I need more power, Captain!" (In best Scotty voice)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roman:

I'm just wondering why they don't show more casulties when a squad is hit. They only show one man when the squad is eleminated.

I think in showing these casualties such as in the CC series would enhance the realism, and even showing more men per squad besides three representing 10 or 12 would be a plus.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As the 100th incarnation of this discussion begins again, I've decided I hate it even more than the 'Running w/HMGs' discussions, and I really, really hate those. My contribution to this one will be to say nothing more.

------------------

Tremble, tyrants and you perfidious opprobrium of all the parties,

Tremblez! your parricidal projects finally will receive their prices!

But these sanguinary despots, But these accomplices of Berli,

All these tigers which, without pity, Bauhaus the centre of their mother!

We will enter the career When our elder is not there any more,

We will find there their dust And the trace of their virtues

[This message has been edited by Seanachai (edited 12-08-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Yes, this discussion has been repeated about a hundred times already. Do a little homework and search for "Dead Bodies and Full Squad Representations" and you will enough reading material till the end of the year. You were probably not aware of these earlier discussions and thats fine. There is just any good reason to rehash this topic when its been pretty fully covered in the past.

Now, I am gonna lock this up.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-08-2000).]

Roman:

In case you didn't quite get the undercurrents here.....these issues and the CC comparisons have been done to death, revived as some frankenstenian monster, burned and spiked and revivied yet again in the best traditio of Imohotep (The Mummy Karloff et al)

Alot of verbiage has been shed, and much angst. The reasons have been alluded to, David has provided a thread link (bless him) if you are REALYY interested and somewhat masochistic, "searching" the forum will give you more than you need to know.

Short answer, BTS does not nor will they (at least at current tech levels) individually model men...rather the squad is the basic unit (yes this has been discussed alot as well)

It's a slippery slope man, but in the not to distance past we were all a bit raw that a question like this would get a "Do a search" torch off the bat. Things are a bit easier now....just know there are some topics that HAVE been talked to death, yet they still appear [running MG's as Sean mentioned above]

So welcome to the CM universe, abandon hope, kiss your wife and dog goodbye because this is about all you'll see till your computer breaks down and you wonder where everyone went.

JD

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram