My Monitor's karking it!

OK, technophiles, this question's for you.

My little old monitor is on the way out. (it takes about 15 minutes for all the colours to come good)

So tomorrow being a nice, fresh saturday, I intend on snavelling myself a newy.

Now, I'm thinking 19" will do me fine, 21" might be a little OTT. But, what is the go as far as refresh rates are concerned? Is there anything else I should be concerned with? My current system will be soon getting the flick also as funds permit, and I'm thinking around PIII 800 will be the go there.

So I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, something that should see me right for at least 2 years.

Thank you all in advance.

**Cesspooligans need not respond, as I'm being serious here and I know you lot couldn't be serious in a seriousness competition on world serious day**

------------------

Torture you? That...That's a good idea.

If you can find a dealer, audition the ViewSonic flatscreen monitors. I have the PT795 (19") and it looked to be the best on balance when I purchased a year and a half ago. I think that model's gone now, but something similar will be offered. As for refresh rates, nothing below 85MHz at decently high (1280 x 1024 and above) resolution cuts it, but don't worry, a quality monitor will handle that and better no sweat.

Monitors are kind of like speakers for stereo systems--they're you're main interface with the rest of the system. Don't be afraid to invest a few more bucks.

Thank you, tris, you are a very nice person and I value your contribution.

Now for Von Shrad, I tried the age old technique of "eckky thump" and it did make the screen blink at me but bugger all else..

Now go back to what you do best..ie.. dying beneath my guns.. tongue.gif

Spend the bucks. A quality monitor will out live your computer for years to come. I's also no use in buying the latest video card if your monitor isn't up to snuff. I bought a Nanao FlexScan T2.17 for $1,200 when I bought a Pentium 133 back in 1996, and I still have the monitor today with a PIII 600. The .26 dot pitch and high refresh rate has made for a great picture with all the games that I have played. I'm considering an upgrade now, and if I do, I would be interested in hearing the cost/benefit in the 21" range (if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well go 21").

Hi,

I guess there are two threads going on this, so to briefly repeat: many companies make good true-flat screens; smasung, viewsonic, etc. I got a Korean Data Systems 19" (AV195TF) and it's great. Less costly than all the ones I looked at because they do less advertising, etc. Top notch company, though. Their top line is the Avitron.

Check out: KDS

Cheers

[This message has been edited by TOBRUK (edited 11-17-2000).]

Allright Stuka, if you don't mind a CessPooligan posting...

I can't speak to the monitor, but I can to the processor, a bit.

Last I checked, the best bang for the buck is what I've got running. It's a PIII500e. The very overclockable Coppermine chip. I have mine running at 720, and never have a problem. I could probably gone to 750, but I bought a cheap motherboard. I spent close to top dollar for this in January/February, but I know it's come down some now.

check out www.anandtech.com They post a monthly buyers guide that is very helpful, and their forums have some incredibly knowledgeable people. It's all tech geek stuff, which is what you need!

And another thing...Do you owe me a file? Or did you lose it in that blasted fog?

------------------

"Nuts!"

Most recommendations for a flicker-free viewing pleasure is 72hz or better refresh rate at the resolution that you want to use. Don't use advertisements for this info as many ads will state 75hz refresh rate for a 17" monitor but that may be only for a resolution of 1024x768. If you end up using a 1280x1024 resolution on the same monitor, it will be 65hz or less refresh rate which, supposedly, could cause eyestrain after playing hours of CM w/o a break. smile.gif

I remember a few years ago checking monitors out in a local store and some seemed darker than other monitors. I had to turn up the brightness control to 85% or higher to get the same brightness as some of the other models that were around 50% on the brightness scale. It helps to play with monitors side-by-side before ordering over the net.

I would also look for a 3yr parts/3yr labor warranty as some of the manufacturers only have 1/1 or 3/1.

Monitors are for pussies. I just played a lunchtime game in the office's screening theatre. 20' x 16' with surround sound. It was badassed. Too bad my boss doesn't take more vacations.

WWB

I'd recommend the LG Electronics: Studioworks 995E. It's a fantastic

monitor, one of the best 19 inch models you can get as far as image

quality goes. And they aren't super expensive, either. $300+ if I

recall correctly. They also have a high refresh rate, even at higher res.

So if you like to game at 1280x1024 or more, you're all set. smile.gif

I didn't get this monitor by accident, I hand picked it as the best 19 inch

I could get with the top features I wanted. If you get one, you won't

be disappointed. smile.gif

I run a 17" AOC Spectrum 7Vlr. I think it's got 85 hz refresh rate. The image quality is great. It's brightness levels are somewhat low though, maybe due to my Viper card having it's own settings, but still, I hate those monitors that have that TV look to them. The monitors that usually come with Gateway or Compaq computers tend to have cheap-ass monitors.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Monitors are for pussies. I just played a lunchtime game in the office's screening theatre. 20' x 16' with surround sound. It was badassed. Too bad my boss doesn't take more vacations.

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right! Who needs a monitor? I stick the VGA cable in my mouth and close my eyes. You don't actually see anything but it makes your tongue all tingly! wink.gif