Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

D-Day Landing Scenario

Guest Moiety

Guest Moiety

Just wondering if there will be a D-Day scenario. Also, will the whole war be modeled in campaign? If not, which "battle" does the game concentrate on? Ie. Bulge, Stalingrad etc.

Thanks

There will be many D-Day scenarios. They will be user-made. There may even be one that ships with the game.

Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord doesn't focus on one battle or the whole war. It focuses on the west front Normandy to Germany.

Matt

It's already been discussed at length(Capt. Manieri and other freaks...).

Basically IIRC Fionn often said that the game engine isn't well suited to a DDay scenario. I think it was because the Allied troops on the beaches would get decimated way too easily by MG fire from bunkers.

You can still do a DDay battle properly though...it can happen later in the day, outside the beaches wink.gif

Well, actually, CM's engine isn't NOT suited to a D-day scenario. It is just that a D-day scenario involves the US player being butchered by MGs and losng about 75% effectiveness in a few minutes and just praying for airplanes to arrive and take out the German MG bunkers.

It's not exactly a load of fun but I'm sure someone will do one and people will try it out and realise just how tough a landing into the teeth of enemy defences is.

There is also no one big campaign ala cc series. But rather, the equivalent is an operation. Operations are played on very large maps, with each battle taking place on a different portion. The scenario designer defines how many battles, what time they'll take place, reinforcements, attacking country etc.

------------------

krm - King of useless posts;)

I'm one of those "fruitcakes" that may try to do a D-Day scenario. Ohmaha and Juno beach are pretty much out of the question for reasons Fionn mentioned above but Utah, Gold, and Sword may be doable. Don't have my hands on the full version of the game so I don't know if I can build the opperation I envision. I'll have to see what I can do with air and naval support before I even deside whether or not it's worth while. Amphibious transport may very well be another limiting factor. I suppose amphibious transport could be fudged with reinforcements popping up on the map edge. Then there's the victory factor. I suspect a computer scored loss could be chalked up as a personal victory. Can't wait to get my hand on the scenario and campain generators and see what I can do,

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Guest Moiety

I disagree with the idea that a d-day landing scenario would be too difficult and that the german machine gunners would chew up the americans too much.

If you ever rushed a machine gunner in the open without cover, sure, you're going to get toasted. But if they are suppresed with mortar, and battle ship guns then you can forget about it smile.gif That , plus heavy smoke covering the pillboxes... oohh baby smile.gif

What do you think? I think its workable. Someone just has to program a landing craft that can carry tanks and infantry.

PS - I think its cool how the infantry can ride on the back of tanks.

I've already written a D-Day-like scenario, it's been through testing was found to be fun challenge and will be up at (probably) wild bill's site after the game releases. There are a few unit types and terrain types missing from the base release that would facilitate beach scenarios, but with a few workarounds and a good understanding of the design engine a beach scenario is not difficult to do. You guys just have to wait a bit longer.

Los