Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

WWII In Color: A Reminder

Saw a program yesterday about the push for Elben from the Allied view, all in glorious colours on Discovery. Oh yeah I just remembered it From Remagen to the Elbe. It was supposedly never seen on tv before shots

[This message has been edited by howardb (edited 02-16-2000).]

Part Two of the WWII In Color series is on tonight, 9:00PM EST. I presume part three will be on Thursday smile.gif

Last nights edition was ok. The narrative is necessarily limited by what they have footage of, but there are some nice diary excerpts. There was some sensational Eastern Front footage near the end that leaves me optomistic about the rest of the series.

FWIW, they are selling the three-part series for like $29.00 (U.S.).

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

I love those diary excerpts! Eighteen-year olds writing some absolutely beautiful prose. It makes me sad to think that writing like that has gone the way of the dinosaur. Seems that if it can't be captured on videotape, and given a fifteen second voice-over, it's not worth our time.

Rex

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

The following are the synopsis of Wednesday's and Thursday's episode taken directly off of my satellite's channel/info guide.

Wednesday's episode:

Total War: Pearl Harbor; Warsaw Ghetto; ruins of Hamburg; U.S. Marines fight Japanese in the Pacific

Thursday's episode:

Triumph and Despair: Preparations for the Normandy landings; release of POWs, refugees and displaced persons.

I will be taping all three episodes on my S-VHS VCR.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 02-16-2000).]

I hope they have some footage of Omaha beach. I've been extremely interested in the whole Normandy Invasion since I read Stephen Ambroses book. And yes my diary entree's are nothing like they have on the show.

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

I'd be embarrassed to admit it, but my wife felt the same way -- when thinking about the pre-1960 era, I would think about it in black-and-white.

I saw WW2 In Color tonight, and I was shocked to think that "those folks don't all that different". The street scene of French Resistance fighting somewhere in the south of France looked like something out of CNN footage of Bosnia. I know it's silly, but just seeing it in color makes it much more real.