Shooting at Sound Contacts

Does the infantry TacAI ever shoot at infantry sound contacts? I was noticing last night that sometimes AT guns and AFVs will target vehicle sound contacts, but could not recall ever seeing this happen with infantry.

If this does not currently happen, could it be patched/included in CM2? I could definitely see it happening more often with less experienced 'trigger-happy' troops in low-visibility.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

I can't even manually target an infantry sound contact when using the targeting tool. The sound contact "unit" is unclickable.

My take on this is that an infantry sound contact is assumed in the game to be "out there somewhere". I have seen troops, even elites, shoot at nothing at all in night battles. No sound contact, no national insignia icon, nothing. But there were usually things going on within a few hundred meters of where they shot, either actual combat or sound contacts.

So perhaps a sound contact "unit" on the map simply represents the center of an area of effect within which troops hear noises. If they reach the point of thinking there's really something there, they shoot at a random spot within this area, where they think the noise is really coming from. I don't know, but it does seem to me that the actual sound contact "unit" isn't treated as a real unit in terms of being a specific target.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html